Commercial Planning Applications

I've noticed that there are frequent posts about new businesses in ED that involve issues around planning and commercial use licences. Much of the chatter about Nero's, for example, and recent anticipation about 6 Lordship Lane.

Those of you interested in these issues could have a look here to see what the basic classes are.

I'm sure it's not an exhaustive list; but I'm a retail consultant rather than a commercial surveyor so it does for me.

Ultraconsultant

As far as A1 to A5 go, my understanding is that all changes have to be authorised by planning, but that it is far easier to go up the list ie towards a shop, than down the list ie towards a pub.

Generally this will reflect what the local community desires, where it decides to flex its democratic muscle.

So yes I think A1 to A4 would be tricky, depending on how adamant the local community felt.

Planning law though is greatly misunderstood, not least by me i'm sure; planners i suspect, like it that way.

UC

Not sure Andrew - no doubt this would have a lot of H&S regs as well as planning permission and probably rating too.

I'm pretty sure that if you have a distribution warehouse with a trade sale room attached, and a public front-of-house retail shop facing the street, then you wouldn't be allowed to let your retail customers free unaccompanied access to the trade sale room or the warehouse.

Like I say, it's a bit of a dark art. If you are in the commercial property game, either as freeholder or tenant, then having a brother-in-law who holds his LLB in this wizardry would be fortunate indeed.

UC