Break ins on Crawthew Grove

Mikandnik

Just thought I'd let people know, that there were 2 break ins yesterday on nearby Crawthew Grove. Thieves stole laptops, 40" plasma screens etc by forcing front sash windows. The police have finger printed and will no doubt be keeping an eye out, but I thought it worth posting here, so that people were aware and could keep their eyes peeled for any odd behaviour and report it if necessary.

And/or alarmed? I recently moved to Crawthew and had our bikes stolen from our (locked) shed out front in the middle of the night right under our noses.

Did they just lever the windows? Interested to know whether the police think this is opportunistic or planned...

I don't actually know whether the houses were alarmed or whether the windows were levered. I know that one of the houses had a lock on the sash. Have no idea whether they were tagged. Where would they look for the tags? We were altered to this friends who are neighbours with one of the people who were burgled. Not sure what the police thought but I do know that they have been around to finger print. Did you report your bikes being stolen to the police? Might be worth a call to the police to see what they think.

I think the only question we've not asked is, ground or upper floor? I think we've probably rightly assumed the former. ;)

Is there BTW any evidence that having a "Magic Water [or similar] used here" sticker on one's front door actually deters thieves? Any marking obviously increases their risk while the stuff's still in their possession, but it's the possession itself that's the greatest risk, and I assume that stolen gear gets disposed of pretty quickly.

I've contact the East Dulwich Police SNT asking if they can 'innoculate' this area with crime prevention advice, locks we've provided for them and property marking kits.

I don't lke to be alarmist but burglars tend to repeat within 50m of previosuly committed burglaries - so they spread like infections. Hence the concept of innoculating an area from further burglaries.

James, thanks for doing this. Should we all expect a visit from our local friendly bobby?

FTR, we called the police just after we had disturbed our bikes theives and they arrived within two minutes. Sadly too late to catch the thieving little pikeys..

ClareC Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Does anyone know if there is a service available

> locally for advice re existing home security and

> how to improve it?

There is a service taht is provided by the local police- they cam to mine last week after beeing burgled, they are very helpful and will go through things with you.

I should imagine it is the same people, as I am not far away from there at all. and sounds liek a similar MO.

An intruder alarm will be a deterrent, as will stickers saying possessions are marked with a product like 'Smart Water', however if they are determined, they will find a way to get in unfortunately.

The best thing is for residents to secure their premises the best way they can I guess, ensuring alarms are switched on etc. the best thing we can do as fellow residents is keep an eye out for any suspicious behaviour and notify the police immediately, also if you hear an alarm, don't ignore it (I am certainly guilty of it in the past), call the police and let them know where it is going off.