Bus Lane camera on Dog Kennel Hill

Bus lanes generally have hours of operation stated on a blue sign, even if this states "At any time". This particular bus lane seems to have no sign mentioning hours of operation. This is contrary to the TfL guidance https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/red-routes/rules-of-red-routes/bus-lanes which states:

"You can enter a bus lane when the bus lane is not operational (outside the hours of operation) or when you are driving a certain type of vehicle. The times of operation and the type or types of permitted vehicle are indicated on a blue sign. The sign is located in advance of the bus lane and repeated if the bus lane is long."

In addition, here is advice which encourages road users to use bus lanes outside on their hours of operation:

http://finelinedrivingacademy.co.uk/How-To-Deal-With/Bus-lanes

In short, if there is no sign stating hours of operation on the bus lane then there might be cause for appeal.

Mugglesworth Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> In short, if there is no sign stating hours of

> operation on the bus lane then there might be

> cause for appeal.

If there are no hours of operation specified on the sign then it means that the bus lane is in operation at all times. There is no legal requirement for a bus lane sign to specify "at any time" so an appeal on these grounds would probably be a waste of time.

Exactly rahrarah. The rules at this location haven't changed, they've just decided to start enforcing them. Many people are still breaking the rules though from what I've seen in the last couple of weeks, so the fines must be rolling in.

This is elementary driving test material.

Bus lanes are for buses. And if signed, then taxis and cycles too. If no operating hours are shown, then logic would dictate that the bus lane is permanent.

You can refresh your knowledge using the highway code traffic signs section (pages 2 and 7 show bus lane signs).

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/media/58170307ed915d61c5000000/the-highway-code-traffic-signs.pdf

And here is a nice simple explanation:

http://www.driving-school-beckenham.co.uk/bus-lanes.html

• 3 months later...

Cardelia Wrote:

> Mugglesworth Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > In short, if there is no sign stating hours of

> > operation on the bus lane then there might be

> > cause for appeal.

>

> If there are no hours of operation specified on

> the sign then it means that the bus lane is in

> operation at all times. There is no legal

> requirement for a bus lane sign to specify "at any

> time" so an appeal on these grounds would probably

> be a waste of time.

I see that new signs have been erected stating "7am - 7pm" as hours of operation. This can mean one of two things:

1. The hours of operation of the bus lane have been reduced from 24/7; or

2. The previous signs were incorrect in giving the impression (through omission) that the bus lane was in operation 24/7.

If you want TfL's opinion, there's the TfL bus lane database: https://tfl.gov.uk/info-for/boroughs/bus-lane-database. Facebook or twitter, for them as use them, looks to be the easiest way of querying it and asking about any changes.

Incidentally, they have a general page about bus lanes, filed under red routes(!), at https://tfl.gov.uk/modes/driving/red-routes/rules-of-red-routes/bus-lanes.

Mugglesworth Wrote:

> Cardelia Wrote:

> -----

> > Mugglesworth Wrote:

> >

>

> > -----

> > > In short, if there is no sign stating hours

> of

> > > operation on the bus lane then there might be

> > > cause for appeal.

> >

> > If there are no hours of operation specified on

> > the sign then it means that the bus lane is in

> > operation at all times. There is no legal

> > requirement for a bus lane sign to specify "at

> any

> > time" so an appeal on these grounds would

> probably

> > be a waste of time.

>

> I see that new signs have been erected stating

> "7am - 7pm" as hours of operation. This can mean

> one of two things:

>

> 1. The hours of operation of the bus lane have

> been reduced from 24/7; or

> 2. The previous signs were incorrect in giving

> the impression (through omission) that the bus

> lane was in operation 24/7.

Including weekends or everyday - Anyone notice ?

The definitive document will be the relevant Traffic Regulation Order. If, for example, the order specifies 7am to 7pm, there shouldn't be any PCNs issued for events outside that period, whatever the required signage says.