Building work opposite Plough DIY

Goodliz

Hello. Does anyone know what is being built on Lordship Lane more or less opposite the big Plough DIY shop? It used to be a car parts place. It has been completely gutted. I asked in the newsagents (the one with the post office at the back) next door to where they are building and they said they had heard a rumour it was going to be a Tesco - bad news for the newsagent.

Does anyone know what it will be yet?

Thanks.

It's quite a big site - it goes back quite far. Probably big enough for a supermarket. Not sure I'd be too happy if it was though; I reckon it'd have an impact on the parking in our street (Landells).

Unless it was an M&S of course. :P

I've been tipped off that it may be M and S who either are after or already have purchased this site. Can this be true? Am gobsmacked as live round the corner and this would have serious implications for parking, development generally in the area, etc. Would there not be any consultation? Does anyone else know anything about this?

Yes, I live that end of LL too and agree it could do with a bit of a boost. We do have good old Badger Bakery up here though. Even if we did get an M&S I could not stop going to Badger Bakery!

I agree though with Sallyc, surely M&S would have to consult with the locals if they were going to build there - maybe they will have an underground car park!

Will look up the old thread. I am new to the forum but must admit I am hooked. There are alot of 'haters' round here!!! LOL.

Goodliz

Whoops. Just read my last post back and that sounded really bad - I had just been reading the post from the piano teacher who hates ED Mums and Mums to be. There are lots of very nice sounding people too. I hope I've not offended anyone.

Come along to the forum birthday drinks (21st Sept, upstairs at the Magdala) and you'll see that we're generally a friendly lot. :)

Even if it's not a supermarket parking could suffer; the site's big enough for quite a few flats.

Another resident of that end of LL here...

goodliz - I'm so glad it's you who joined and not that badliz girl. She's trouble ;-)

I hope it's more than just flats - we've spoken on many a thread about what type of shops we would like to see

If it was an M&S it wouldn't be the end of the world but while others have complained what that would do to the parking I am more interested in what it will do to traffic volumes, plus the loading/unloading disruption.

Personally I doubt M&S would choose a location that far from the strip further down..

I also live up that way and I am pretty indifferent to M&S. To me it?s somewhere to buy socks and undies and that?s about it. Or would it be one of the ?This is not just ice cream. This is imported overpriced ice cream with the exact same make up and ingredients as a cornetto.? type of M&S?

Either way surely no one will bother to drive there from outside of ED? Would they?

• 2 weeks later...
As I was walking past this site a couple of months back I happened to see what seemed to be the developer getting into his car so I stopped and asked him what was going on. he told me it would be 5 shop units and 10 flats above, the units will be let to whomever takes them.

I'm not so sure this end of LL can offer much in the way of shops. What I mean is that we walked through the Village and turned left into LL at the Plough. The shops there are handy local ones i.e. spares, takeways and the like. But the walk to the police station and beyond took a good while and if I was shopping down the main strip I would not walk along this way if I didn't live there, so i think prospective tenants should be careful what they plan to do down that end. imho an M&S would have been a good shop to have.

I live 5 mins walk from Plough DIY and the other shops along that parade. I would really hate to see an M&S Simply Food there. I like the fact that there are good local shops that service everyday needs.

The Post Office is really useful and there are other shops there I regularly use, eg newsagents, grocery shops, florist etc. Plough DIY is always very busy and there's always a queue in there - I love that shop - they're always really helpful with advice. The shops seem to do fine because although there is passing trade from people going to Dulwich Park and the library, more important is the fact these are shops that people need and use everyday.

Re new shops - I think another coffee shop would be a welcome addition to Jacks.

I very much doubt that it will be Simply Food and if it was it wouldn't conflict that much with the majority of the other shops on that crossroads nor would it stop me supporting Val's grocery and the newsagents next door. The local traders I've spoken to are second guessing the development and I reckon it's a fairly safe bet that they will be mostly individual retail units with residential accommodation above. If it smartens that strip up it cant be a bad thing. Perhaps a Foxtons 2, like DVR.

Loosely on thread can anyone tell me what the French restaurant, Le Moulin is like?

I wouldnt say they were helpful or friendly quite the opposite-are you

related to them at all?

Ko Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I live 5 mins walk from Plough DIY and the other

> shops along that parade. I would really hate to

> see an M&S Simply Food there. I like the fact that

> there are good local shops that service everyday

> needs.

>

> The Post Office is really useful and there are

> other shops there I regularly use, eg newsagents,

> grocery shops, florist etc. Plough DIY is always

> very busy and there's always a queue in there - I

> love that shop - they're always really helpful

> with advice. The shops seem to do fine because

> although there is passing trade from people going

> to Dulwich Park and the library, more important is

> the fact these are shops that people need and use

> everyday.

>

> Re new shops - I think another coffee shop would

> be a welcome addition to Jacks.

Andyng - no not related, although I wish I did have some decent DIY people in my family! ;-) Everytime I have gone into Plough DIY, they have always been great and told me exactly what I need to do, let me sit at their desk and flick through brochures to find exactly what I want etc. Its nice you can do this - asking anyone at B&Q in Peckham is a waste of time - you are guaranteed a blank look! Plough DIY must be doing okay as they have at least 3 units on that row.

SeanMacGabhann Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I too like and patronise many of the shops this

> end - a bit of spit and polish wouldn't go amiss

> tho

Sean - I agree the shops by the Plough could do with a bit of polish!

My local shops are the Underhill Rd ones next to the CPT - I got onto the council about clearing the litter there more regularly and its makes a difference.