Cows milk vs formula from 1+?

Lochie

Little boy about to turn 1....just wondering when I can start to replace powder for cows milk. Even if it is safe to do so, are there benefits to formula that aren't found in cows milk? Really prefer the idea of giving him lovely fresh cows milk a few times a day to powder and water, but a bit confused as there are still forumlas for 1+, suggesting it should still be a part of their diet??? Eeeek! Advice appreciated...

The formula type milks available for 1+ really are just a marketing ploy by formula companies to keep you spending your cash with them. Cows milk from 1 is absolutely fine (and certainly my two preferred it to formula), and when given in conjunction with a healthy varied diet your little one will still be getting all the vitamins and minerals he needs.

P x

Yes, it's fine to give your one year old full fat cow's milk. He might reject it initially because of the change in taste so you can mix it half and half with the formula and gradually change it. I did use the follow-on milk for travelling as I found the cartons convenient, but I really think the reason that formula companies have follow-on milk/growing up milk is purely for marketing and business! Good luck.

Cross posted with Pickle!

The other thing I did (similar to Candj's suggestion above) was replace one bottle/beaker with cow's milk at a time, over the course of a few weeks so he got used to the taste. But he never had a problem with it and realised that of course they taste milk in other things - e.g. cereal - so not like it's completely new.

Formula manufacturers are not allowed to advertise formula for babies, hence all the ads are for the follow on variety. If a LO has a good and balanced diet, there should be no problem with full fat cows milk. I also did a very gradual transition, 1oz more milk to formula ratio, upping another Oz every 3 days until he was having 100% cows milk.

My first daughter hated cows milk (like her dad) & had very little - only in sauces etc really never as a drink, so I was throwing out loads of full fat milk that was going off before I could use it. I asked a doctor who said it was OK to give her semi skimmed based on the rest of her diet, she was also breast fed to 16 months.

Daughter 2 a milkaholic so got through masses of full fat this time & strangely the older one, now six likes it too - typical!

Lochie Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> interesting....I always thought the stats sounded

> unlikely

>

Milk is not a good course of iron on the diet.. so when they say "Your child would need this unrealistically HUGE cup of cows milk (or our product!)" they could as well say "Or a normal balanced diet including eggs, dried fruit, fortified cereal and meat"