recommendations for a big family party please

Tanza

My husband's mother is going to be 90 and we are looking for a restaurant/pub/hotel where a group of about 20 people could have lunch, ideally where there is a playground or big garden to keep the numerous great-grand-children amused. I did think of Locale in East Dulwich, but feel the food there isn't really special enough for this occasion.

We would be very grateful for any recommendations/ideas for either London, Sussex, or Surrey

Hello!

Nutfield Priory in Surrey is very posh and aged mother-friendly. One of my best friends had her wonderful wedding reception there and my parents also booked a private room there for their golden wedding anniversary recently (about 14 people, but there was loads of room). Because it was a large private room the kids could run about and leg it out into the gardens afterwards without causing too much embarrassment.

(Though that said, my youngest daughter was potty-training at the time, and my mother got very exercised when I airily informed her beforehand I didn't intend to put my daughter back in nappies for the day 'as she needs to learn'. I had to relent when I belatedly realised I was going to ruin their special day - my poor mum was clearly going to be spending the entire meal watching my daughter like a hawk and not relaxing for one second.)

Anyway, I'd recommend it, though it's not cheap.

Thank you Redjam, like the sound of the Nutfield Priory. Looks good online so have just emailed them asking for a guide price and sounding them out about a private room. Our party will include some rather, er boisterous little boys (not my own little darling of course) so somewhere for them to run and let off steam would be good. Is there direct access from the private room to the gardens? It does all look very posh, trust the gardens are not full of guest wafting around in towelling robes expecting peace and quiet? I imagine your party was full of rather charmingly behaved little girls?

Ha! But of course... (Well, there was one time when my niece started tickle-chasing both my daughters round and round the table and it did all get rather shrieky for a while, but no one seemed to mind as we just closed the door.) There is direct access to the grounds as I remember though we didn't have the door open (it was late October) so you'd need to check that you'd be able to go in and out that way. There's weren't any people wafting around in towelling robes when I've been but you may bump into another party as it's quite a popular venue for weddings. It's certainly posh though - think overstuffed armchairs and huge dried flower arrangements in every fireplace - so if you're after somewhere a little more informal this may not be the place for you. Will keep thinking.

You're right to avoid Locale. I took my family for my mother's 81st birthday last Saturday and the food was very average. My mother's lasagna was stone cold and had to be sent back to the kitchen. The service is either indifferent or pushy. With a 12 1/2% service charge automatically added to the bill, I guess there's not much of an incentive to provide good service.

We've just booked a private room that seats up to 26 people at the Petersham Hotel near Richmond Upon Thames for my Dad's 80th birthday - has a lovely view of the river - not sure how accessible the outside space is though - but definitely worth a look