need to let off some steam!!

we went to a friends house for dinner yesterday and they had a small dog that kept licking my 9 month old daughters face. I kept moving the dog away (my husband never said anything to back me up on this!) to try and stop the animal.

Our friends are expecting a baby and i wonder if they will be letting their dog lick their babies face when its born!?

Im really annoyed at myself that i didnt speak up more about this...sorry if this seems a bit random post but im actually quite disgusted and upset by it now

A family member lets their dog do this to my son and it drives me insane. I am not allowed to tell the dog off because it would hurt his feelings or some such sh*t, but I always go and wash Baby S' face and remove him from licking distance.I'm not surprised you're upset, I would be (and am!) too. I'm all for children being around animals, etc etc etc, but there is a limit. Same dog reguarly jumps over Baby S and often just misses him/hits him on the back with his hind paws/tail. ARGH.

Hollybush Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I would hate that! Probably they will let their

> dog lick their baby - dog people are like that,

> the dog is seen as part of the family, but they

> should stop it from licking other small children

> for sure. I'm with you completely.

Hollybush, that is a HUGE sweeping generalisation. I am a dog owner, have been all my life. I am also the mother of a 6 year old and a 2 year old. I hate 'licky' dogs, and our dog would never be allowed to lick any children in the way DuchessofDulwich describes (even if she was the type to try). I would be as digusted as the next person if a friend's dog was allowed to do that to my children.

I think I would have asked them to please shut the dog in another room, as otherwise you'd need to leave...or a less direct way maybe would be to pick the baby up and keep pointedly pushing the dog away each time it comes close.

DuchessofDulwich, I suspect your friends may 'see the light' once they have their own precious bundle, if not I'd avoid going there again until your little one is a rambunctious toddler, at which point the dog will come off worse I suspect!

its a difficult situation when your at someone elses house. ive said to hubby tonight im not in a rush to go back to their place again and im hoping their attitudes will change when theyve had their baby.

Im glad you feel the same as i doon this Ruth i thought i was being hormonal! I want my little girl to be comfortable around animals but i guess you have to draw the line somewhere. Big learning curve......

It is basic common sense....I'm sure the odd lick isn't going to do any harm....BUT dogs do a lot of nasty stuff with their tongues, eat stuff when out on walks, potentially carry worms, and could even potentially bite.

I think your friends were totally out of order, and I am saying this as a dog owner and lover....please, please if anyone is in the situation again you MUST say something. Sorry but s*d your friends feelings, your child (and it's health) is more important. I'm not obsessive about hygiene, dogs and kids on floor together etc. but dogs licking children, especially on the face, is just not on.

It's ok to address the dog directly in this situation too. Just simply say 'No' or 'No licking' to the dog in a stern voice, and gently but firmly push the dog away. Remember dogs are pack animals, and as pets they do not outrank you -- even as a guest! Say it every time the dog tries to lick. Do not hesitate, but don't be unkind either. As with training childres, firm but fair.