NHS comes up trumps

Fuschia

So last night TwinII's nasty cough turned into horrible panting, never seen this before with any of my children but I could tell it was unusual (lying very lethargic, chest going rapily up and down, sucking in, nostrils flaring)

Called NHS direct who sent a paramedic... but when nebulisers didnt help we ended up in a blue light ambulance to hospital

after more nebulisers, oxygen and steroids she improved but we were there till past 1am being monitored.... finally got home at 2am, she has an inhaler, steroids to take and antibiotics and we have to go back if she needs the inhaler too frequently

Tbey decided was a viral infection causing the wheeze on both sides, possibly will turn to be asthma... and all the crackling is likely to be a bacterial infection starting hence the antibiotics.

All the staff we saw were great and very kind. It;s not easy being in a and e alone at 1am heavily pregnant with a sick toddler.

There was another little boy there (also a twin) with exactly the same, so definitely something to watch out for. I had forgotten how good NHS direct can be, the way they decide over the phone what's necessary ad send an ambulance etc if needed.

What a horrible thing to go through, especially when heavily pregnant. Glad the NHS were helpful.

My friend went through this a few months ago with her 18 month old son. Turned out to be asthma with him, but runs in the family so they were half expecting it at some point.

Hope she is feeling all better soon.

Weird how there was another twin in at the same time. One twin is always smaller than the other when born are they not? What with fighting for space and stuff. Was twin II the smaller in your case?

all of mine had this I think- my eldest when he was 6 weeks- is it bronchiolitis? the symptoms sound identical. None of them have asthma now if that's any sort of reassurance.

I've also heard that NHS Direct is to be cut. Do hope not.

They didn't say bronchiolitis (s that the word for viral infection of the bronchial tubes?) I think her narrowing and blockage was more lungs/pneumonia.

I am hoping it's not asthma... does run in the family bigtime but she hasn't had any chest problems before and DS1 once had an inhaler for a while after a chest infetion but never went on to develop asthma

in one hospital they called it bronchiolitis and pneumonia- when I queried it I recall one staff member shrugging and saying "well it's the same thing really"

(I had just got round to accepting the b word without bursting into tears- when they said pneumonia I nearly jumped out of my skin- over anxious teary first time mother :)))

think bronchitis is the bronchial tubes but bronchiolitis is the smaller ones inside the lung? mind you tis many many years since I did biology so I may well be barking up the wrong tree! Hope she gets better soon. How old is she?

One of mine suffers from recurrent croup (similar lung infection thingy - absolutely terrifying) and we've been down there a few times in a horrible rush, and I have to say the children's A&E at King's have been marvellous. Hurray for them (although boo for you Fuschia, you must be exhasusted).

I have to say I had also had a wonderful experience with the NHS when my 6 week old became ill (bronchiolitis). Different hospital (UCH), but they were amazing. I couldn't believe that just 6 weeks prior it was like I was in a war camp on the post-natal ward. I had doctors taking away my baby without asking for invasive proceedures....The contrast when I went to A&E and then on the paediatric ward couldn't have been more acute. The team was so helpful, lovely, let us stay over in the room on a bed etc, explained everything and made me feel like I had an opinion. Couldn't have been better. Anyway, hope your little one gets better soon x