Any ideas for an Arts Centre in East Dulwich?

Sue

No idea who owns the Police Station, Sue. Perhaps it's government owned. There have been rumours about it closing down ever since I moved here. But the costs involved would be astronomical, that land must be worth a couple of million... not to mention the huge refurb job.

Occasionally I find myself surprised at my response to questions like these. In theory, I should be absolutely supportive of such an idea - I work in the arts, I regularly attend 'arts events' across a number of genres, and I can think of arts centres that I've been to and really loved.

But but but...... does East Dulwich really need one? I'm not so sure....I think most of us can agree that we have ready access to some of the best arts facilities in the country- The South Bank is a mere bus away for example. And on a smaller scale there's lots going on locally - from cinema clubs to comedy, art exhibitions ranging from South London Gallery in Peckham to Dulwich Picture Gallery, even music-wise there are options though I would be more inclined to indicate there's a gap in provision there.

And my gut feeling is that if people aren't inclined to seek such things out when the reality is a twenty minute walk, then who knows if they would attend an arts centre. Arts centres can be great but they can also suck the soul out of an event - give me a gig in a pub anyday or a reading in a bookshop. Different spaces and venues bring with them different benefits - and yes, disadvantages.

Arts centres often work in smaller towns where there is an absolute need for provision and where they become a focus for the community. I was in Lewes only this weekend and was thrilled at seeing half the town walking into the arts centre - a beautiful converted church - to see a film. People were greeting each other - it felt like a hub of actvity, it was hugely exciting. But there is nothing more depressing than an under-used arts centre. Salisbury Art Centre where I once worked was beautiful yet soul destroying in its emptiness. Chats Palace in Hackney was similarly underused - despite one would think a 'need' due to lack of local facilities, and there is a new arts centre in Shoreditch which again just doesn't have the same vibrancy and excitement one finds just down the road at gigs and exhibitions in Brick Lane.

I think AJM's suggestion of a virtual 'hub' is an excellent one where information on all that is happening can be made accessible. Venues could have their own page so there was a one- stop south east London information portal. But bricks and mortar, salaries, rates, electricity, keeping a building staffed, negotiating late licences, marketing, fundraising, health and safety, public liability insurance.....nope, I'm not so sure.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I think AJM's suggestion of a virtual 'hub' is an

> excellent one where information on all that is

> happening can be made accessible.

xxxxxxxxx

Isn't that what the "What's On" section of this forum provides?

> Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

>

> > I think AJM's suggestion of a virtual 'hub' is

> an excellent one where information on all that is

> > happening can be made accessible.

>

> xxxxxxxxx

>

> Isn't that what the "What's On" section of this

> forum provides?

Not really. It provides lots of valuable information and is very useful but it isn't focused on the arts and so people need to look through lots of information. There are little oppportunities for venues to really market their products - an image can speak a thousand words etc etc etc.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> -----

> > Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> >

>

> >

> > > I think AJM's suggestion of a virtual 'hub'

> is

> > an excellent one where information on all that

> is

> > > happening can be made accessible.

> >

> > xxxxxxxxx

> >

> > Isn't that what the "What's On" section of this

> > forum provides?

>

>

> Not really. It provides lots of valuable

> information and is very useful but it isn't

> focused on the arts and so people need to look

> through lots of information. There are little

> oppportunities for venues to really market their

> products - an image can speak a thousand words etc

> etc etc.

xxxxxxx

But surely that's why people have websites, and can link to them via their posts in the "What's On" section?

I do think there's a danger of duplication.

Who would run the umbrella website, and who would decide what was "arts" and what wasn't?

Comedy? Folk music? Dancing classes?

ETA: And what geographical area would it cover? And who would draw the line?

>

> But surely that's why people have websites, and

> can link to them via their posts in the "What's

> On" section?

>

> I do think there's a danger of duplication.

>

> Who would run the umbrella website, and who would

> decide what was "arts" and what wasn't?

>

> Comedy? Folk music? Dancing classes?

>

> ETA: And what geographical area would it cover?

> And who would draw the line?

Sue surely you can see the difference between an umbrella website for the arts and a listing section of a local forum covering arts, jumble sales, public debates, etc etc?

But if you can't, let's return to the original idea you suggested in your first post. An arts centre. Now look at all the questions above and apply them again ... duplication of facilities; who "decides" the programme. Who takes responsibility - for the marketing, fundraising, general maintenance......

Answer me those questions; make a case for support of why East Dulwich needs an arts centre and we can go from there.....

Sue has asked some fundamental questions that apply to any public endeavour. As BB points out, they apply equally to a building based initiative or a web based one. The thing is, you are more likely to succeed in getting the web based version up and running. I also really like the idea of shared information or user driven content to use the web3 jargon (I think). Maybe it could start off as a new culture vulture thread on this forum to see what the interest is. maybe a few of the people referred to in Sue's OP could moderate it, research and post info on arts events while others could oomment on them. The moderators could filter the section and redirect those that are not within the "cultural policy" of the section. Just a thought.

Bellenden Belle Wrote:

>

> Sue surely you can see the difference between an

> umbrella website for the arts and a listing

> section of a local forum covering arts, jumble

> sales, public debates, etc etc?

>

>

> But if you can't, let's return to the original

> idea you suggested in your first post.

xxxxxxxx

I'm sorry I ever started this thread now.

Camberwell Village Hall: the building is owned by a Camberwell/Peckham church, but there's been a fairly lively campaign to share use for local arts and culture. I'm having a sit down meeting with Victor and co at the campaign in a few days and can maybe report back relevant/useful info that they don't mind putting in the public domain.

Anther interesting project has been The Bigger Picture in Crystal Palace. That moved from a tiny shop to an old car showroom. I went to an exhibition launch there a few weeks back - good. Unfortunately it looks like they may have to move out if the owner sells as it looks like he might be about to do. The nature of pop up.

I think shared space/multi-purpose is the way forward.

I don't have any vested interest in this topic since I don't work in the arts or ents. I just want to point out that the two aren't mutually exclusive - physical and virtual space for arts activity. That's a bit obvious perhaps but arts activity has the potential to enrich our lives immensely and the focus that can come from a well conceived and run arts "centre" can enhance that potential. Pop up - from what I know of it - is great but that's not an arts centre where people can get go to with the expectation of engaging in a range of cultural activities.

Sue Wrote:

> Bellenden Belle Wrote:

> -----

> >

> > Sue surely you can see the difference between

> an

> > umbrella website for the arts and a listing

> > section of a local forum covering arts, jumble

> > sales, public debates, etc etc?

> >

> >

> > But if you can't, let's return to the original

> > idea you suggested in your first post.

>

> xxxxxxxx

>

> I'm sorry I ever started this thread now.

Don't be!!