How to stop cloth nappies smelling bad

marscapone

We use Bumgenius nappies and happy with them except that they seem to permanently small of wee. I have tried different washing powders, and always do an extra rinse afterwards anyway (as baby has eczema). They are almost always dried outside in the sun, for at least part of the time. How can I get rid of the smell? None of the other clothes smell, I suppose it is because the nappies aren't a natural material like cotton (the inserts are fleece, can't remember what the outers are). We always wash at 60 degrees. I was told not to use lavendar because of baby's eczema. Any other ideas? Thanks

I never had this problem with my cloth nappies, but I remember reading on a cloth nappy forum somewhere (because I was that sad!) that "stripping" them by washing with vinegar can help. If you google it you should find more specifics, but I'm pretty sure that's one of the common solutions.

P x

We had this every now and again with the BumGenius. I think the instructions on their website talk about how to "strip" them - I think it was actually with a very small capful of washing up liquid in the washing machine, but double check that I haven't made that up! Then, like Pickle says, a wash through with vinegar couldn't hurt either.

Thanks for suggestions. Seems to be a lot of differing advice

- that it is detergent build-up - I don't think so as I always use less than suggested and do extra rinse as well

- bumgenius website suggests bleach once a month. it says to avoid vinegar

- many other discussion boards say vinegar is good for the inserts but not the outers (although my outers smell a bit too)

- some say dishwashliquid

- some advice to do cold wash first to avoid baking in smell, and then hot (60) wash. Then another rinse. But that would amount to hours of washing with our slow machine...

Not sure I'm any the wiser but will try some of these suggestions. Vinegar sounds like best option for me

I agree Dulwichmum - would rather not have to do lots of different hot wash/rinse cycles, use bleach etc. Which is why I think vinegar will be the first thing I try. btw these haven't always smelled bad, and hopefully some of these suggestions are to do once a month rather than every time

Here are the instructions I used from BumGenius re: "stripping" the nappies. I had to do this twice in nearly 18 months of use. It solved both leaking and smell issues. I think "Dawn" is an American brand, so I just used regular Fairy washing up liquid and it seemed fine.

STRIPPING

Please apply the following recommendations for stripping of specific issues. Be aware, depending on the severity of the problem, you may need to repeat the procedure a number of times.

FOR LEAKING ISSUES:

1. Wash once in hot water with Dawn liquid dish detergent in the original blue formula (yes, it must be Dawn). Use one tablespoon for regular top loaders and one teaspoon for high efficiency machines.

2. Do two additional hot water washes with no detergent, just clear water.

FOR SMELL ISSUES:

1. Wash inserts once in hot water with Dawn liquid dish detergent in the original blue formula (yes, it must be Dawn). Use one teaspoon for high efficiency machines or one tablespoon with a regular machine. Use ? cup of chlorine bleach for a top loader and ? cup for a high efficiency machine.

2. Do two additional hot water washes with no detergent, just clear water.

3. Normally, covers do not hold odors as inserts can, however, you may strip them using the instructions that apply for leaking issues. (See above.)

I think so. Though my washer does have a 95 degree setting (!) and a medic rinse setting so it's possible I used one of those (I can't remember what the guidance is from BumGenius re: max wash temperature). I really only had to do it once every 6 months or so, so not a huge deal if it was one extra hot wash.