question about isofix

Can someone who knows the answer to this please tell me, thanks!

We're having our first baby soon and have bought maxi cosi cabriofix and was intending to buy isofix to go with it.

I now realise that isofix is compatible with only certain models and newer cars and although I haven't checked with the manafacturers yet, I'm guessing that our 12 year old golf is not going to be compatible.

Assuming it turns out that it isn't, am I right in thinking that there is a way in which you can simply strap the maxi cosi car seat onto the back seat using the regular car seat belt? And that while this is not as super duper as the bang up to the minute safety stuff like isofix, as long as you do this properly, it is still safe? Otherwise, what do you do? buy a new car?? any advice appreciated!

Hi - we have had a cabriofix for our two sons and also used to have a 12 year old Golf and you just strap it in using the seatbelts. It seems complicated at first but you soon get the hang of it. I think the cabriofix still came out top in all the safety ratings with or without the isofix, as far as I can see, the isofix base just makes you extra sure it's fitted correctly. You can also get a non-isofix base for the car that you strap in using the seatbelt if you can't be bothered faffing around with the belt each time you get it in and out but we never bothered with this. With two kids and all their stuff, we eventually upgraded our car and now have isofix. It does make it extra easy to click the seat in and out but we managed fine for nearly two years just using the belt.

The easyfix base can be attached with either Isofix or a seatbelt (or even both if you're paranoid!) - or at least ours can (it's a couple of years old but I'm sure the newer model would be the same). Which means you can leave the base attached and just take the seat itself in and out quite easily. Worth checking the new family base as well - they've brought one out that fits both the cabriofix and the next size car seat as well but not sure if it can be fitted both ways. One of the most annoying things about the old model is having to buy a new base when the little one outgrows the cabriofix.

The isofix base can be secured to the seat using a 3 point seat belt. There is a blue lever thingy that holds the belt in place. I had to do this in my little micra because I stupidly lost the yellow anchor points which secure the base to the car seat. Using the seat belt and leg anchor works perfectly well and having the base to clip the actual seat into is much easier than having to use the seat belt with the actual car seat every time,especially when baby is asleep. You should have handy picture instructions in the maxi cosi manual and I have seen them on the maxi cosi website. Hope this helps.

If your car isn't compatible with Isofix (our Saab isn't) then you'll need the Easyfix base. We've got it and it is sooo easy to use; I didn't want the hassle (albeit limited hassle) of strapping the thing in place with the seat belt. It's one of our best baby buys.

I might be wrong but I think it's a slightly different base to the isofix one for non-isofix cars. But once that's in and secured with seatbelt and leg anchor it's very secure. It's then easy to take the actual seat in and out of the car by clipping in/out of the base.

Another consideration, if you don't get a base is that your seatbelt might not be long enough to go round the seat. Ours (old fiesta) did but only just with a lot of pulling.