Are you pregnant and have had/are getting the seasonal flu jab?

Vickster

I understand that this year they are offering the seasonal flu jab to all pregnant women even if you are not in an 'at risk' category.

I am slightly reluctant to have this as the advice has always been not to have the seasonal flu jab if you are pregnant. I do recall though that last year pregnant women were advised to get the swine flu jab (which is now included in the seasonal flu jab) as the complications from swine flu in pregnancy e.g. pneumonia, were considered quite dangerous. This makes me think I probably should have it.

Any thoughts?

I had it - to be honest I didn't give much throught to it, as I normally have one through work anyway. I thought the previous position was that the flu jab was only offered to particularly at risk groups, but if you were particularly at risk and pregnant they'd still reccommend you have it. I didn't think the previous advice was that you shouldn't have the jab if you were pregnant. But that's just my rather hazy recollection....

Hope this helps!

My consultant told me to get the swine flu jab if they offered it, but I didn't realise they were offering it and haven't had it - am due in a few weeks so hopefully a moot point. He did mention that pregnant women tend to become more ill with swine flu so I'm not sure if this is the same with seasonal flu (although am currently hacking and coughing thanks to my two school aged children). Sorry not to be more helpful. As above, I would contact your GP/nurse and ask them.

Hi Vickster,

In the past the seasonal flu vaccine was only offered to pregnant women who had an underlying health condition. It wasn't offered to all pregnant women simply because it wasn't necessary - if they were otherwise healthy they would generally recover without any complications. This year the have combined the 'swine flu' and seasonal flu strains into a single vaccine and it is because of the swine flu component that they are recommending pregnant women to have it. If you had the single swine flu (H1N1) vaccine last year then you don't need to have the combined one this year.

From the pandemic last summer it was shown that pregnant women were more vulnerable to developing severe respiratory complications from swine flu. The vaccine does not contain any live viruses and can't cause flu and has shown to have little side effects.

Kirsten X

Thanks everyone for the advice. Having done a bit more research, it appears that it takes 4 - 6 weeks to become fully effective, by which time, fingers crossed, I won't be pregnant anymore! Having said that, the idea of a bad bout of flu and a new baby fills me with horror, particularly as I have currently got underlying respiratory issues, so I think I am going to get it done. There is also some suggestion that it gives your baby a degree of immunity, which if true, can be no bad thing.

Hi Vickster, just to add I had it when I was pregnant, I was only 8 weeks at the time, but have asthma and know from experience how horribly ill I get with flu!

There was a really big study done a a couple of years ago which found that it was best for all pregnant women over 12 weeks to have the jab and anyone with underlying medical issues should have it even if pre-12 weeks. Prior to the study they didn't give it to pregnant woman as they didn't think it was really needed but not because there was any suggestion of negative effects. So I think you're right to get it, flu and a new born would be hideous!

Hope the little is here soon and you both avoid the flu!

K