A Green Chain Walk in January anyone?

Ian Bull

Hullo everyone,

Would you like to explore the Green Chain?

Last September I led the walk that opened the Green Chain's extension from Dulwich and Nunhead to Crystal Palace. Over 200 took part and I suspect it would have been 400 if the weather hadn't been so rotten. Only 48 braved the driving rain for the very attractive section from Dulwich Picture Gallery to Crystal Palace though.

Walk London have asked me to devise some walks for the last weekend in January. Would anyone like a further stroll over the route? If so, please say so here or send me a private message. I was thinking about repeating Dulwich Picture Gallery to Crystal Palace for those who were too cold and soaked last time. If there's sufficient interest I'll add it to the list, probably for Saturday 29th January.

I look forward to droves of enthusiastic replies!

All the best

Ian Bull

Hullo Lisa,

Thanks for the above. Interest has been encouraging and Walk London have agreed to adding this to their schedule for Saturday 29th January. They'll be narration about the route and some old photos for everyone to look at. It will just be an afternoon's stroll of about five and a half miles but it's a lovely path and I'm sure everyone will enjoy it.

I'll post all the details on ED about 10 days in advance.

All the best

Ian

Hullo Louisiana,

Each September, usually on the last Saturday in September, is the 'Green Chain Megawalk'. It's all the way from CP to Erith in one go - 21.5 miles. I mentioned it here and a few people from ED did take part. If there was sufficient interest I'd be quite happy to organise another of these long distance walks earlier in the year.

There is also a bizarre idea circulating of repeating the Megawalk *overnight* on 25th & 26th December.

The idea of a 'Super Megawalk' from Nunhead to Erith has been mentioned as well. Now that would be fun!

If anyone's interested in the above - let me know!

Ian

• 1 month later...

Hullo everyone,

Just to remind you all that this walk received enough advanced support for it to go ahead and it's tomorrow! (Saturday 29th). The entry has appeared in the 'What's on' section as message 6,606585 which is very near the top. The thread is called 'Green Chain - Free guided walk - 29th'.

We're starting at the College Road entrance to Dulwich Park outside Dulwich Picture Gallery at 1.30pm. It's 5.5 miles long and will take us on a very pleasant part of the Green Chain to Crystal Palace.

I look forward to seeing you!

Ian Bull

Hullo everyone,

I'd just like to thank everyone for taking part. I was left with a strong impression that you all thoroughly enjoyed it!

There aren't very many organised walks on the Green Chain these days but 'Walk London' will be offering two more over the last weekend in May. There will also be an opportunity to walk all the way to the Eastern extremity of the Green Chain in mid June and further walks in late September. I will post details on ED.

All the best

Ian Bull

Hullo Acumenman and Lost Yorkshire Man,

Thanks to 'Lost Yorkshire' for furnishing the answer. That map is part of the Green Chains 'Route Pack' which you can obtain by visiting...

http://www.greenchain.com/

It will cost you ?3.50 but covers the whole 50 mile network and is laminated for use in wet weather.

There's another simpler map on the same website. To the left, click on 'Explore the network' and the click section 11 on the map that's displayed. Unfortunately Walk London's website doesn't yet have a map of the Dulwich/Nunhead to Crystal Palace extension.

All the best

Ian Bull

Hullo Louisa,

The annual 'Green Chain Megawalk' takes place on the last Saturday in September. It's 21.5 miles from Crystal Palace to Erith at average walking place. You're right, it really is fun and tremendous camaraderie can build up.

Some of the regular participants have suggested an additional Megawalk in June to mark the shortest night of the year. They want to do this overnight! I think this is a brilliant idea and current thoughts are for either Friday 17th or Saturday 18th June leaving Crystal Palace at 11pm or Midnight.

I'll let everyone know closer to the date.

Best - Ian

• 1 year later...

Yes! Hullo!!

The January Green Chain 'Midnight Megawalk' didn't happen because I didn't have time to guide it. Never mind, it's nearly time for the Summer version which was very successful last year. The idea is to start from Crystal Palace station at 22.30 on a Friday or Saturday in about two or three weeks time. Sunrise is observed from Shooters Hill and very pleasant it is too. The finish will be at Erith in time for early trains home. Walking through all those woods in the dark is a experience worth having and the views over London just prior to sunrise are most impressive. Any day/time/date preferences anyone?

As every year, there will be a daytime version on the last Saturday of September (29th). It's not yet known whether this seventh Green Chain Megawalk will be promoted by the Green Chain itself or Walk London. Walk London's events are suspended as TfL are not presently able to offer funding, but don't write them off yet.

All the best

Ian Bull

Hello there Ian. Thank you for replying. So glad this is happening again. Wanted to come last year, but son too young really.

I'll be the first to state preferences then - any weekend from the beginning of July onwards.

How exciting!

H