potty training boys

We are on day 4 of potty training my 2 year 3 month old boy and dare I say it, without it all now backfiring, it has gone amazingly well. Day 1 a huge success with wee and poo in potty, day 2 poo in pants and day 3 no poos but now on day 4 he has begun to poo again and this time in potty. We started off with wearing no pants for the first day, then introduced pants on day 2. He is so good at recognising when he needs to go and I do not need to prompt him now at day 4. He has only had a couple of accidents. The couple of accidents were when we were mainly out in the garden and he didn't make it inside in time. Which now leads me to some questions that I am hoping you can help me with as all of my potty books are nowhere to be found:

How long is it suggested before venturing out into the big wide world again?(Really need to get to supermarket and we are both becoming affected with cabin fever and I don't think I can watch yet another Ice Age 3!)

Introducing trousers! He has been in his pants inside and track pants in garden so any tips on types of trousers? He just seems to pull of his pants to use the potty and struggles to get them back on possibly due to age. I'm sure with more practice over the next couple of weeks he may master this, even if they are on back to front and inside out!!

Nap time - he is becoming reluctant to wear a nappy and has woken dry the last 4 days so should I forgo this? I'm reluctant to as we have just managed to get him back into an after lunch nap routine and wouldn't want a wet bed waking him and deterring him from naps again!

Nursery - as I'm off for 2 weeks from school this has been a perfect time but am hoping that once he returns to nursery it will continue as started. They had been introducing it there as we had morning and night here. Is the 2 weeks enough time to get him dry and ready for his return? Also they have lower toilets there so should I encourage him to use the toilet seat here which he has sat on in the past in the next week?

Reading this back now it seems like trivial questions and I am sure there are other ones but would be grateful for any suggestions. Hmmm, new developmental stages are funny times!

I think you are doing very well- i thnk anything before 3years for a boy is good- and then when it is warm outside!!!But if he is doing so wellI would try and keep to trackie bottoms that are easy to take off. CAn you use those type of trainer pants when you go out? If he has maanged ok for 4 days on his naps then I would make sure I had a waterproof protector on the mattress andcross fingers. I dont htink there is a set time for potty training,some are much quicker than others and your little boy seems ot be doing really well. Some take a few weeks and some struggle on for months, even have night time trainer pants at age 4-5.

Hurray - have just done this for the second time with my 2 year old - here are my answers:

How long is it suggested before venturing out into the big wide world again?(Really need to get to supermarket and we are both becoming affected with cabin fever and I don't think I can watch yet another Ice Age 3!)

I would go now - I stayed in for the first day or so only. Just take a change of clothes, a carrier and some wipes in case of an accident.

Introducing trousers! He has been in his pants inside and track pants in garden so any tips on types of trousers?

Much easier (although not necessarily more stylish!) to keep them in track pants until they can get them up and down themselves. Can also chuck away in case of an accident. Otherwise be on hand to help getting them on and off.

Nap time - he is becoming reluctant to wear a nappy and has woken dry the last 4 days so should I forgo this? I'm reluctant to as we have just managed to get him back into an after lunch nap routine and wouldn't want a wet bed waking him and deterring him from naps again!

Ditch the lunchtime nappy. I got rid of all nappies bad the bedtime one on Day 1. I've had one wet bed in the first week, but none since then. I alwas make sure they wee before they go to bed, and have stopped the lunchtime milk (I give it after naptime if they want it).

Nursery - as I'm off for 2 weeks from school this has been a perfect time but am hoping that once he returns to nursery it will continue as started. They had been introducing it there as we had morning and night here. Is the 2 weeks enough time to get him dry and ready for his return? Also they have lower toilets there so should I encourage him to use the toilet seat here which he has sat on in the past in the next week?

Yes, he will be fine by then (although be prepared for a few accidents - they sometimes just get distracted at nursery and forget to go. Don't let it put you off though. I'd start sticking him on the toilet with a trainer seat and step in the next week or so. So much nicer than emptying a potty!

The main thing for me has been once they have got the control and understanding to crack it, then never go back to nappies at any time (other than bed - I waited quite a while for that one) - just treat it as done and dusted and don't make a fuss if they have the odd pair of wet/dirty pants to begin with.

And finally - WELL DONE :))

Thank you so much, very valuable comments! Shall buy a mattress protector and try the lunch time nap without a nappy. Thought we had one but in move it has ended up goodness knows where!! He does use the potty before his nap and has a drink of milk which hasn't resulted in any wetness but I also get him to go to potty once he wakes. Although at nursery he doesn't have milk before a nap. (Spoilt at home plus it has helped us to get him back into a lunch nap after 6 months of being rather hit and miss with one at all!)

We have toilet trainer seat and step that he does sit on so shall introduce this instead of potty. Quite right nicer to empty than a potty although he seems inclined to take his potty to his favourite spot, near the front door or his bedroom, for a poo!

Have bambino mio trainer pants but silly mummy bought size too large so shall try tomorrow with just going out with spare set of clothes. Gulp!!

Control and understanding is definitely the point and I feel that he is getting there with it plus the valuable aid of stickers! Oh and Daddy making a big deal of it every night when home from work with praise and a little treat. We definitely do not want to return to nappies and even if accidents at home/nursery just want as little fuss and for him to be comfortable.

Next step - When do you take the step for no night nappy? Is that in a few months or just keeping an eye on the nappies in the morning?

Yes Mellors WELL Done to you as well. We must have been barking mad to contemplate and attempt this in the middle of a very cold winter!! Or thanks to the snow for making me get on with it!! A huge well done to our children.(tu)

You can buy packs of disposable mattress protectors from Sainsbury's as well.

Its a bit nerve wracking going out for the first few times without anything with you, but definitely the way to go. Even if they do wet themselves its only a quick job to change them, and every other mother around will have lots of sympathy (in fact mine have never done it in public, so you never know). Lots of people swear by the Potette portable potty as well.

Its v common to still want to security of having feet on the floor and a more comfortable sit down on the potty for a poo, so don't worry about that. They do stop it eventually (or you could just risk it and take it away).

My boy was about another year before we stopped the night nappy - he eventually asked not to have one, so tried it and he was fine. My girl on the other hand (the newly trained one) is already desperate to get rid of it now, so will give it a go in the New Year I think. Check for dry ones in the mornings.

I am a bad mummy, I bribed mine with Haribo :)

Good, Sainsburys is where I intend to head in the morning! So shall look out for the disposable mattress protectors. Hopefully my Streatham branch stock them.

I shall just brave it and do the change of clothes. I'm not really into carrying loads of bits so shall give the portable potty a miss. To be honest only been heading out with a pull up nappy shoved in my handbag for the last few months! Have had a chat with him tonight about going out tomorrow and he seems keen!! Or is that because he's tired of seeing my face....

Shall continue to let him poo with his potty wherever he chooses - to be honest when he missed one day I was afraid he may have an issue with pooing on the potty as he is normally like clockwork. Risking it may just be too much now.

Shall see how he goes with night time.

No you're not a bad mummy, just that stickers seem to be the bees knees with my son at the moment although they must be dinosaurs and the largest one can buy!! Haribo is fine and I would have done that too but we had run out. Daddy on the other hand came home with a whopping large helicopter on the first night and had a frown of disapproval when a kinder surprise was given on the second night! He has stopped asking for his evening treat now, possibly in dismay at the smaller sized treats!!!

Ah thanks Mellors, you definitely gave me the confidence to venture out!! Was a little anxious before leaving but remembered all that had been said. Managed to find the last pack of pampers disposable mattress protectors too - the potty god was shining upon me today!! A dry Christmas and the best to you with dry nights ahead in the New Year.;-)

Hiya,

Both my children (1 boy and 1 girl) were both totally out of nappies by 18months!!

It only took a week of training and they had no accidents ( ofcourse somewhere down the line they did like if they fell asleep but not for along time after they were trained)

They key is for you to be in control!

I told them when to go to the toilet e.g if i knew they had a drink i would put them on the potty about 10 mins after they had drank. And when i was about to go out i would put them on the potty b4 we left and when we arrived where we were going.

oh yeah! top tip... dont leave home without the potty. you can get travel ones.

go by the rule ' if you gotta go, u gotta go!'

dont be afraid or ashamed to whip the potty out anywhere!

I would whip it out in the cinema, park, highstreet! ( luckly i had them on a pretty good routine so they done poos at home).

2 weeks is plenty of time( however all children are differnt) but i think its safe to say that they sooner the better as in my opinion they longer you leave the child in nappies the harder it is to get them out of them, as they become used to nappies and comfprtable in them.

The best time to do it is summer as its warmer to be in no pants.

When i decided that i was going to train them i took the nappy off and never put it back on again as i believe this to be confusing for the child, plus its important for the child to know the feeling of wetting themselves so they can assosiate it with the feeling before they wet them selves.

I did not put a nappy on when they had their naps or when they went to bed at night ( send me a message if you would like to know what to do to stop them wetting the bed)

If i knew i was going on a long journey ( which i did once or twice) and i new there would be know where to stop i would wait for them to fall asleep, then put the nappy on and make sure i took it off either b4 or as soon as they woke up so that they didnt know they were wearing it.

good luck and i hope this helps.x