Stopping drinks spillages!

Hi all,

Been meaning to share this discovery for ages, but have always forgotten to post until now.

For years we've been using the Ikea children's beakers - the plastic ones which come in assorted colours and are shaped so they are narrower at the bottom than the top. Clearly this makes them relatively unstable, and if a little one knocks them they go over all too easily sending water, or worse expensive juice across the table! It seems all children have problems with these beakers, going by the various ones I've had around for tea anyway!

I had some lovely china mugs which were given as gifts by various people, or came with Easter Eggs etc. but which I never dared actually let the girls use for fear of breakages. However, at some point a while ago I decided to try them and immediately we were spill free. I did spend a bit of time initially watching them and telling them to be careful, but the very fact that the cups are heavier, and very stable seems to help them and remind them to pick up/put down carefully. My eldest at 6 has a normal mug, with one handle, whilst my youngest at 2 has a mug with 2 handles, which does work better for her (she does use a 1 handle mug when necessary, but I can see it is harder for her to support securely). It was really the 2 year old I was most worried about, but she's coped just fine.

Anyway, the Ikea plastic beakers are now well and truly dumped, and we haven't had a single spillage since we've switched.

I realise this may seem (to quote Basil Faulty) "Bleedin obvious" to some, but it really hadn't occured to me what a difference a 'proper' mug would make, and I thought maybe others with major spill issues might be glad of the tip!

Molly

Excellent idea Molly. I feel like a real grouch all the time, telling my 2.5yr old to watch her tumbler. Will try mugs - got some I'm not precious about.

Would just say, be careful which you use though. Hubby let the youngest use the mug that came with her lovely kids breakfast set. One broken handle later...... (still sitting on windowledge to be fixed!).

Yes - that's true, though ours are either not precious, or they are Emma Bridgewater, which I love....but they are at least easy to replace if necessary (fingers crossed it wont be necessary).....

I agree - felt like a total grouch for getting so cross about the spillages, but they were literally daily with the plastic Ikea tumblers and I was so sick of mopping up all the time.

My youngest is totally addicted to hot chocolate at the moment - will down two mug fulls at a time given half a chance!