Vaccinations/ cycling when up the duff

My Mum always said it was unwise to vaccinate a baby/child when they were ill, and followed this line for me and my siblings (which meant my 1 year jabs were done when I was almost 28 months because I was constantly sickly for a good 15 months or so)

Baby B has had colds/coughs/that awful winter bug off and on for months now. We've had to cancel his booster jabs twice and re-schedule his MMR, too. He seemed to be 100% again but woke up this morning with the snottiest nose ever (epic sneezes included). No grumpiness or temperature. He's due his boosters on Tuesday and don't see his snotty snout disappearing before then (because that would be nice and convenient). What to do? Postpone again, or take him anyway?

Secondly, there is an epic bike ride going on across London at the end of Feb, some kind of fixed and single speed beano. Husband is going, and I really want to as well. I'll be about 19w pregnant then, so is this a stupid idea? will take time, go at sensible pace and wear lots of protective clothing. Haven't asked MW, not due to see her until second week of Feb. I'll be riding a single speed, and it'll also be a fixed speed this time (am bloody mad). In quite good shape, still jogging (although no longer training for the marathon) and was still cycling up till recently (it's cold...) so I don't think I'd have a stroke or anything. Is this an obvious and stupid question? Probably...

Re: Immunisations... it's fine for your LO to have his immunisation even if he is a bit sicky. As long as he doesn't have a fever, vomiting, etc. Upper respiratory infections are v common in babies and toddlers and will not affect the immunisation. And vice versa, immunisation will not worsen the snotty nose. However, jabs to sometimes make babies a bit poorly afterwards, so if you don't want to take your LO for his immunisations while he's feeling rough, that makes sense too. You will need to balance your decision with how much possible risk of exposure to eg measles etc he may have. If the balance works out in favour of the jabs, don't hesitate to get them. He would be (much!) worse off getting mumps than dealing with a snotty nose.

Re: Cycling... deffo check with your MW. If you feel up to it, it's probably fine if the foetus is still mostly in the pelvis. If the uterus has risen significantly out of the pelvis by then, the foetus no longer has the bony protection of the pelvic bones should you take a tumble.

Hope that helps. xx

I'm not sure about immunisation, but I have done quite a bit of reading about cycling in pregnancy. Not least as I see no reason to stop and my partner goes into a cold sweat at the thought of me being out on a bike. So we have had to examine the information out there together and try and make a decision based on evidence rather than panicked supposition.

Essentially, so long as your sense of balance is good (apparently some women can find theirs affected during pregnancy), you're not carrying twins or have some other health reason not to do normal exercise, there's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't.

Some sources seem to say don't cycle as you might fall off or be involved in an accident. But only you can assess what you feel the risk to be. After all, you could have an accident driving your car, or be hit by a bus crossing the road. I've been cycling in London for 5 years and the only time I've fallen off was because I was blind drunk!

Have a look at this blog about cycling in pregnancy, I found it helpful and inspiring: http://www.guardian.co.uk/environment/green-living-blog/2010/may/21/pregnant-cyclists?showallcomments=true#end-of-comments

Hi Ruth,

I cycled (single speed) to work & back up until about 16 weeks and was fine, personally I still think cycling is brilliant exercise (pregnant or not) because it is very low impact and you can, as you say take it slowly, even have a little rest on the downhill bits.

I did a lot of reading about cycling whilst pregnant and actually as far as I could assertain the only risk was when over say 30 weeks and that was in regards to your ballance being off. Obviously if it's an organised ride there will be no traffic so that won't be a worry.

In the end I had a little bit of a scare and that was the only reason I stopped cycling so soon. I would have continued longer if I hadn't had a scare. I've just got back on my bike, (for shorter, local cycles at 29 weeks) although it's now a more upright and 3 geared version and I was fine! So go for it, sounds like it will be a good ride.

Mab: It's this: http://www.lfgss.com/thread57290.html

I believe there is one in Dulwich soon, but I might be imagining that!

My sense of balance was not brilliant, but then we realised my seat was a fraction too high and all has been well since (before this, I fell off into the middle of the road on the New X interchange of queens road. Thought I was a goner, but it was just my pride that was damaged. I was pregnant but didn't realise it at the time!)

Oh hi Ruth, sadly I'm no longer on the SS as I couldn't afford to keep that & the new more pregnancy & baby friendly more upright bike I had built up, I have to say I cycled to Dulwich village at the weekend & really enjoyed my 3 gears-such a novelty!!

If you fancy a pregnant ride let me know & we can potter somewhere.

I do love the Copenhagen cycle chic site, so glam!

The ride will be good though, enjoy it before you get too big :-)

X

I cycled to work (Old Street) from East Dulwich every day up until I was 34 weeks along. All doctors/midwives said it was fine as long as I was careful - i.e. as long as I didn't get in an accident. The only reason I stopped was because the midwife said she didn't want me going into labour at the side of the road. I loved it, it was a really good way to keep healthy and happy. It was easier for me because I had a dutch bike, so I didn't have to lean over at all. I suppose it might be different with different bikes?

Re: cycling - I think all advice about doing exercise that you are already used to doing, but doing it carefully & listening to your body's signals is sound.

I cycled like crazy during my first pregnancy - to work in central london, from Berlin to Copenhagen when 20 weeks, to NCT classes up Telegraph Hill at 30+ weeks, even to Kings when I had tightenings at 24 weeks (the last was, in retrospect, foolish & can't believe I did it). The one thing I struggled with was hills - got out of breath v. quickly. On the plus side, I felt great, healthy, fit. On the down side, I had a few problems with pelvic pain during my second pregnancy & do wonder whether it was payback for being a bit gung ho first time round. During my second pregnancy I cycled much more sedately (often because I had a 2 year old on the back of my bike).

Now I have one in front and one behind & they love it.

I cycled everyday until I was 40 weeks pregnant. It kept me fit, and was easier on my body then walking. I had to change from my racer at about 35 weeks though.

It is just a choice thing, there are enough medical arguments either way- it just depends on the opinion of the person you happen to speak to. My MW really supported it.

In terms of falling off etc- I did change my commute route- began using a slightly longer but much quieter way to work because I wanted to reduce the risks of an accident as much as possible.

The thing is as soon as baby is old enough I will cycle with her on the back of my bike, and I can't really see the difference. If you want to cycle with babe then might as well begin when they are tucked up in utero!

PS- she was born 2 months ago, a whopping 9 pounder and is perfectly happy and healthy- no strange head shape where her head was squeezed by my peddaling legs or other adverse impact!!! :P