Overnight ferry with a toddler

Polly D

We are meeting up with lots of extended family on a holiday in Ireland this summer. Getting there, logistically the best bet seems to be an overnight ferry from Swansea to Cork. Our son will be 2.5 by then. Is this mad?

We'll be taking his travel cot anyway for the holiday, and booking a cabin for the ferry, but somehow I doubt it will be an easy bedtime. He doesn't get carsick but seasickness could be a different issue (I get it really badly).

We don't want to fly because we'll be taking half our home with us and would have to hire a car the other end.

Any experiences (good or bad) of taking a similar aged tot overnight on a ferry, and top tips, gratefully received.

We took my daughters to Brittany on the overnight ferry when they were four and two. By far the best way to travel in my opinion! Plenty of room to run around and let off steam before bedtime (there was even a soft play area), then the excitement of bunkbeds in the cabin meant that they actually went to bed enthusiastically, if a bit later than usual. Neither suffered sea sickness and they had a wonderful time watching us come into harbour in the morning. THe only downside I can see is the drive to Swansea.

We did Brittany too on an overnight with a 2 and 4 year old and second Gubodge that it was great - much easier than we anticipated. 2 year old did manage to sleep in the lower bunk but we did take a wedge with us as she was relatively new to a bed. But she loved the experience and slept pretty well (for her).

My dad, sister and I went to Ireland on the overnight ferry and it was brilliant! I was about 7 or 8 and my sister 4, so older than your children but we loved it. My mum had got us mini rucksacks with our pyjamas and toothbrushes in to take from the car and the cabin and bunks were loads of fun. We played in the play area and sat with dad while he had a Guinness then all went to our cosy cabin.

It is one of our fondest memories: highly recommended!

hi

we took our 2 year on ferry overnight to Ireland too, and agree with everyone that it was no problem. In our cabin, which was better than some hotel rooms I have stayed in, there would have been plenty of room for travel cot.

We always go to Ireland by ferry,I have a 3 year old and a 1 year old. I cant say that we have ever had a problem.The journey from London to Holyhead is the worst part even though both mine always sleep! Getting back to the ferry,my daughter slept in the bunk with her dad and I had the baby in with me,she was excited and Stena Line do have a soft play area,Iwould recommend bringing some crayons and markers with you just in case! Safe sail btw