How to deal with neighbour's cigarette smoke?

IlonaM

Has anyone found a way of coping/dealing/ameliorating cigarette smoke seaping from neighbouring flat/s through a converted house into their flat? It is not just the smell, over the last few weeks I have developed a cough and noticed symptoms in my chest/breathing. I am the only non-smoker in a house of three flats and three smokers.

There are boarded up fireplaces with vents, which presumably aid the movement of smoke, as well as other unknown routes between floors.

I have had to buy an air purifier (with good reviews re neighbours' cigarette smoke), but I was wondering whether anyone had found any good solutions.

I think it is partly coming through the vents in the closed off fireplaces/chimneys. I have had that problem in another conversion which had a shared chimney with next door house, but in a terrace. This time it is a problem within one converted detached house. When I googled the problem there seem to be lots of people affected and suggestions of smoke coming through gaps in floor boards, wiring/pipe channels etc. Mostly things that cannot be fixed easily.

Any practical suggestions gratefully received!

Much like tinnitus, you'll not cure it, but silicon sealing up the gaps will help. You could close of the vent in the chimney. I reckon if you're sandwiched between flats then one of the 3 closed of wouldn't hurt.

I feel for you tho.

Thanks for your advice Seabag. I was wondering about sealing the fireplace vents - the one in the bedroom looks as if it has been painted over, but the one in the sitting room is open.

I am on the ground floor and the smoke has only become a problem since my upstairs neighbours moved back a couple of weeks ago. Previously there was the smell of smoke in common ways from the top flat, but not inside my flat.

Another here sending sympathies .Interesting that the problem has altered - I wonder what is responsible for the change ( I'm presuming that before your neighbour went away the smell wasn't in your flat ) .Could the recent hot weather be a factor ? Open windows ?

Is there asny way you could raise it with the neighbour ? I doubt I could ,it's hard to avoid causing offence .

And Seabag "Much like tinnitus, you'll not cure it, but silicon sealing up the gaps will help" - that's also interesting ,I have tinnitus which I hate . But I fear filling my ear with silicone may be a step too far .

intexasatthe moment Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> I wonder what is responsible for the change ( I'm presuming that before your neighbour went away the smell wasn't

> in your flat )

I have been fortunate not to have had anyone in the flat above me since I moved in!!!! Unfortunately there are a number of issues that have arisen since they moved back! Ah, the joys of living in flats ...

That's an interesting article uncleglen. A lot of the private landlords I have had experience of in the past have had similar bans, but more on grounds of protecting fixtures and fittings rather than public health!

Yes, I'm coming round to the inevitability of raising it with the neighbours!

I'd like to show I've taken steps to mitigate it as well though. Forking out ?90 on an air purifier is one such step!

Thanks everyone for your advice.

That's an interesting idea RH - sorry I missed it initially in the cross-posting.