Canary islands off the beaten track

Minitoots

Following on from my previous post asking for info on the Azores, we are also looking at other options for a week off the beaten track in beautiful scenery, warm climate, inexpensive self catering accommodation and wondering about the quieter parts of the Canary islands? We have been to remote areas of Tenerife which was good - la Palma sounds great but direct flights are too expensive... What about remoter parts of Lanzarote or other islands such as la Gomera?

Or suggestions for other destinations also welcome as long as they are not too expensive and not touristy, thanks.

I've attached an image of 4 of our past holiday locations which sum up the type of place we are looking for, ranging from Alaska to Cornwall.

Lanzarote is not spoilt by over-development. It is smaller that, say, Tenerife and has the same kind of stark, lunar landscape. There is a tiny island of the north coast which you can reach by boat: get off and walk to the beaches, or stay a few nights. There is a fantastic cactus garden and several spots dedicated to the artist who made it his life's work to protect the island's environment - Manrique. There are agriturismo spots inland and good resort-style places with great pools and balconied rooms. The coastal towns/resorts are low-rise and pleasant.

La Gomera is pretty quiet - have been on a hiking holiday there and if walking is your thing there are lots of great well marked paths.

You can't fly there from the UK though - fly to Tenerife South and then get the ferry across, so it makes for quite a long journey - ferries aren't that frequent so you will probably end up having to hang about in the port town of Los Cristianos for a few hours. (As a resort that has little to recommend it)

Cape Verde Islands - still very underdeveloped but lots of sunshine. From recent photos I've seen, it looks amazing for kitesurfing. I'd say it's stark rather than stunningly beautiful. It's a longish flight tho.

Elba is worth a visit. You need to switch flights or take a train/ferry from Pisa. Hiring a car puts lots of very scenic hilltop villages in your reach and some interesting beaches/ rock formations. And of course Napoleon's retreat.