Where to buy Playtex drop-in bottles (and baby refusing to take bottle)

kam1

My almost 4 month old exclusively breastfed baby is totally refusing to take a bottle since I tried a few weeks ago. I have tried almost all types of teats/bottles except for the playtex drop-in bottles which have been recommended on previous threads on this subject. Does anyone know where I can buy these bottles locally? I can't see them in any of the chemists I have been to. Also if anyone has a baby that started off flatly refusing all bottles but gave in eventually I would love to hear if there is light at the end of the tunnel - I love breastfeeding my baby but he is a big boy and for the past month has been waking up every couple of hours at night for a feed and I'm hoping if I can get a bottle of forumla or ebm into him before bedtime it might keep him going for a bit longer and give me a bit of a break. I had planned to breastfeed up to 6 months before going back to work but now don't know how I am going to be able to leave him with anyone if he won't take a bottle. Thanks.

ha ha this sounds VERY familiar. After exclusively breastfeeding we found it very difficult to get out baby to take a bottle. We spent a fortune on every bottle/teat on the market. The only one she took in the end was the playtex - get them online at amazon or infantcare direct. Just google playtex bottles and you find loads.

best of luck and yes there IS light at the end of the tunnel!!1

I'd the same problem with my second - refused to take a bottle, point blank. Tried everything - even the playtex drop-ins - to no avail.....certainly no quick magic solution.

In the end went back to Avent and just tried it dogedly at every feed (with formula, couldn't keep up expresssing just to throw it away). In the end after weeks of trying, she took almost a full bottle one day when we were in the park as she sat in her buggy - totally out of the blue. Don't know if her attention was somewhere else and she just forgot to protest. But after that she started taking more in the daytime and gradually was able to to fully weaned over a few weeks.

Sorry, don't know if there's any moral there other than just keep trying. Most, I think, find that when push comes to shove (e.g. mum going back to work) somehow the babies tend to sense it and stop fighting it. In the end of the day, they're pre-programmed to survive - they just like to survive their own way while they can!

thanks nunheadmum, I suspect he will not take to the playtex drop-ins either so might not bother even trying these. The only time he remotely lets a bottle near his mouth is when he is distracted by putting him in front of the tv or walking around with him but he still never sucks on it. I will try bringing a bottle of formula with me the next time we are out, it breaks my heart to see expressed milk being wasted - although my 19 month old has polished off a couple of bottles so not entirely wasted!

I can sympathise I am in same boat. My three month old son CAN take a bottle he just refuses it. Most success I have had is middle of the night when he is quite sleepy. Then he will take some (maximum 2oz) usually a mix of EBM and formula. I have some Nuk bottles if you want to try those they have a latex teat

Hi, I had same problem with my son (now 8 months and happily taking his bottle).

I was exclusively BF but at 3 weeks gave him a bottle of EBM and he was fine. I then made the mistake of stopping with a bottle of expressed a day as I wasn't getting on with the actual expressing! so continued just BF-ing, no bottles. Then at 5 months when I actually wanted him to take a bottle again he refused!

I tried lots of different bottles but realised that what he missed was the comfort and intimacy of 'mummy time' so I tried to recreate this for him as much as possible. I sat him in a bouncer got really close to him and sang to him and let him hold my free hand or stroke my hair (like he usually did when BF-ing) and it worked a treat! Of course, he protested a bit for the first few sucks but when he realised how much attention he was getting he drank from the bottle really well. I only had to do this for the first few bottle feeds and then he was happy to take the bottle normally or even by other people. Might be worth a try! goodluck!

Masses more tips here on getting your baby to take a bottle.

http://www.babywhispererforums.com/index.php?topic=64926.0

A bit of an aside, we have tried a lot of these ideas and nothing has worked so far (and we haven't yet tried the cold turkey stopping all breastfeeding as an alternative and letting her go hungry). Instead I'm focusing on getting her to take the doidy cup (which she does pretty well, with a lot of help) and since she's now 6 months she is on baby rice which we make very runny and she seems to love eating off a spoon. At least I'll know she won't be starving when I got back to work in a month and I'm planning on continuing breastfeeding before/after work and at night. Nanny will need to work out some other way to get her all relaxed before afternoon nap since she can't have nice snuggly breastfeed!