skincare for teenagers

Minitoots

Try the products from Aknicare - google. They have real science behind them and are recommended by Prof Tony Chu, NHS dermatologist and acne expert. Not expensive. This is for skincare. A GP can help with antibiotics. It is perfectly good to see a GP for acne. It is a real condition. various light therapies can help but are expensive.

Look for products with salicylic acid. These are very helpful for mild/moderate acne. For moderate to severe acne, I would recommend IPL (Intense Pulsed Light). This is similar to laser skin resurfacing, but less painful and less expensive. When I still had acne in my early 20s, I saved up for a few courses of IPL. It was terrific, and the results were really long-lasting for me. I had mine at The Private Clinic in Harley Street, but there are other licensed clinics in London. xx

Are we talking teenage girl? If so, FYI - My best friend had terrible acne and spots on her back throughout school. I had noticed she always let her hair fall down and dry on her back after washing it, IYKWIM? I advised her to wrap her hair in a towel and not to let the damp hair touch her back, she started doing this and the spots on her back disappeared within a few months. She now never gets spots on her back. I noticed spots on the backs of a lot of girls that let their hair dry on the skin as opposed to wrapped up, but never noticed it on girls that tucked their hair up after P.E! Just an idea.

My sister is an acne sufferer and has been for all her teenage year (although PCOS runs in my family and I know can cause acne, I always wonder if this is the cause of her acne - I was diagnosed after childbirth, but never had acne myself), she has used a hell of a lot medication and found it never worked. Its real trial and error trying to clear it up.

I agree the 'procedures' as opposed to the medications and creams give better results in a lot of people. I would definitely say its worth paying for if you can afford it. My sister is now using the Clarisonic, pricey bit of kit when they first come out, but prices now around ?170. She has noticed results using this system but it has not dramatically reduced the acne, its no longer so red/purple or noticeable as it was before..

Hope some of this info helps.

There's a big difference between acne and spots/oily skin and if it's spots/oily skin do not go anywhere near medication or harsh products, in fact they'll make it worse.

If you're really worried/it's bad and getting her/him down go to your GP or/and a dermatologist. There are different types of spots/acne and different ways to tackle them. Do a lot of research on the net but I'd recommend only natural products with no chemicals. And I really wouldn't even be considering extreme measures like laser yet.

I would honestly recommend the Aknicare range - go to wwww.skinmed.co.uk to read about it. It isn't harsh or damaging, and it isn't even expensive. The science behind it is impressive, and no, I don't work for them! By the way, general teenage spots is acne - it's another word for the condition. Aknicare normalises oil production and stops new spots forming.

As for 'no chemicals' - everything is made of 'chemicals'! Even us!

Ok, there is no real difference between spots and acne, it is just a matter of quantity which is what I meant. If you have a few, they are usually referred to as ?spots?, ?pimples? or ?zits?. But if you have quite a lot of whiteheads, blackheads or angry-looking inflamed spots, it is referred to as acne. As the OP uses the word spots I was assuming it wasn't that severe.

The website for Aknicare looks good actually-it gives alot of information like the different types of acne and the different treatments available. What I meant about chemicals is that if you use things that are too harsh they can strip the skin and make the skin worse so go with a recommendation I'd say.

IPL is NOT a laser. It is very gentle and can target just problem areas. It works by stimulating the skin deep within the dermis. It kills bacteria deep within the skin where topical treatments can't reach, and encourages new skin cells to grow.

It's actually better to treat acne prone skin sooner rather than later. Earlier treatment means spots are less likely to scar.

You son might also benefit from some time in the sun (or a very short session on a tanning bed, depending on his age of course). Small doses of UV light are known to improve many skin conditions including acne/spots. Be careful though, as too much exposure would make things worse.

If you're looking for 'natural' remedies, try mixing a few drops of tea tree oil with sea salt and a splash of water. Use this as a weekly scrub in the bath or before a shower, but don't scrub too hard. Also, for treating individual spots, apply a little natural toothpaste before bed, let dry, wash off in the morning.