Worrying SE London Moped violence

binkylilyput

I know that the problem with pedestrians having phones etc stolen by thieves on mopeds locally has been discussed but I couldn't find the thread....

Anyone else feeling concerned about how this is escalating into more violent attacks? I have read about 3 assaults in the near vicinity over recent days- Ladywell, Brockley Rise (Honor Oak) and this terrible attack caught on camera in Sydenham.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/moment-brave-passersby-foil-violent-moped-mugging-in-london-a3590136.html

I'm sure everyone is aware of these attacks (including the huge press covering of acid attacks)but just a reminder to be vigilant (is that even possible when simply going about one's daily business?) and report anything that could be dodgy.

Obviously this is not just locally but across London.

Is there anything else that can be done?

Yep, I guess there hasn't been a moped attack reported specifically in East Dulwich (to my knowledge) but given the number of other moped crimes that have been reported in East Dulwich, and the fact that Brockley Rise, Sydenham etc are pretty local I thought the conversation warranted the main section......but not to worry.

The main thing is that these attacks seem to be more than one off, isolated incidents and certainly relevant to ED. I've not heard or read any plans by the police or particular advice....other than put your phone away.

The attack at Brockley Rise reportedly involved a lady and her daughter in her 20s- the lady pinned to the ground and daughter attacked with a penknife as they crossed the road- 18th July

The one in Penge (link above) has been shared widely on social media- poor guy

As a motorcyclist myself, I am constantly worried about having my bike nicked (several attempts made) and given the increase of bikejackings whilst riding, I now always check my side mirrors when at a red light.

Riding a motorbike has its own dangers to now not also have to worry about being attacked (with acid or a knife) and your possession taken from you.

So far the mayor has done very little to address the bike related crime wave over the past few years.

Completely agree - the Sydenham attack was actually Penge High Street, ironically directly out the front of the old police station. The attacker took off his helmet after jumping off his friends bike, knowing there was no chance of being pursued. I'm a motorcyclist and often have kids on mopeds eyeing up my bike when next to me at the lights, and I'm sure it will only be a matter of time before I have to defend. Reading on social media (assume it's true but it may not be) that there are vigilante groups starting up in North London to hunt down the gangs.

IMO, police should chase them, and if the perp is injured/killed in the chase, so be it.

bobbsy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> IMO, police should chase them, and if the perp is

> injured/killed in the chase, so be it.

And how would you feel if innocent bystanders were injured/killed during the chase?...

red devil Wrote:

> bobbsy Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

>

> > IMO, police should chase them, and if the perp

> is

> > injured/killed in the chase, so be it.

>

>

> And how would you feel if innocent bystanders were

> injured/killed during the chase?...

But I thought they chased them if they were wearing helmets

but didn't if they weren't.

So bystanders are at risk anyway by the helmeted chase.

yep, that's the point and that's why they take their helmet off......

red devil Wrote:

> Well if that's official policy then it's a green

> light for them not to wear a helmet, just cover up

> with a bandana etc, scot free getaway...