Fire pit in garden, students burning toxic materials

Couple of doors down students are in the garden all night burning (seemingly) whatever they can find. Last week it was an old bed, which they broke up and used for firewood. Obviously we all live in a smoke control area, but can anything be done about burning dangerous materials? Does the council have any enforcement powers? The smell was acrid and flooded into our house. I don't want to be a killjoy and understand a drink around a fire but this seems to be taking the piss.

If they are tenants, contact the landlord?

You could also try reporting it as antisocial behaviour? http://www.southwark.gov.uk/noise-and-antisocial-behaviour

It does seem to be illegal and could incur a fine... http://www.2.southwark.gov.uk/info/200075/pollution/254/penalties_for_polluting

I think similar to other types of antisocial behaviour, the general advice is to keep a diary of all the activity as this will support your complaint. Good luck. xx

If you told them that their actions can cause some people with breathing/lung problems to get very ill they may get the message. You shouldn't have to tell them that - they should be alert to their general anti-socialness but if you need extra persuasion, it could work.

From Southwark Council's website page 'The main causes of air pollution': http://www.southwark.gov.uk/air-quality/the-main-causes-of-air-pollution

'Bonfires

Bonfires and any burning in the open generate smoke and odour. The plume will affect neighbouring properties making health issues worse, spoiling washing, preventing the enjoyment of gardens and outside spaces, making people close their windows, etc.

Do not dispose of waste by burning. The whole borough is a designated Smoke Control Zone. Instead, re-cycle as much of your waste as possible.' (last updated 29 August 2017)

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for that IlonaM.

>

> If you read the text more carefully it does not

> say bonfires are banned.

>

That was my understanding as well. It's not the bonfire itself that is illegal.

It would the burning of "toxic" materials (or materials that release toxins) that is illegal, or if the fires were considered to be a "statutory nuisance".

edhistory Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Thanks for that IlonaM.

>

> If you read the text more carefully it does not

> say bonfires are banned.

>

> Mr Barber will probably not the e4xisting

> restrictions and exemptions for bonfires.

I did not assert that bonfires are banned edhistory. I posted what was on the website for your information.

Somewhere on the Southwark website it used to talk about frequency etc. in terms of nuisance, but I cannot find it at the moment. Perhaps you can?