September 2011 primary admissions

Vik

Has anybody else been told 'no offer available'? I live in Camberwell/Peckham borders, and only put down two schools for my son -Michael Faraday and Lyndhurst - a gamble that hasn't paid off. I'm not sure where this leaves us. Will we be higher up the waiting lists for both schools as my son has no place, or are the waiting lists still prioritised according to criteria matched? Also, how do I find out our position on the waiting lists? Do hope the situation isn't as dire as it seems...

Alice the waiting lists are prioritised according to the original admissions criteria. Contact Southwark tomorrow and they will be able to tell you places oin the waiting list. They will also be able to tell you whether you can add your son's name to any other waiting lists. It's such a stressful time. I had the same situation a year ago. I got a good outcome after 8 weeks of waiting and then an offer at my first choice school 8 months later, a fortnight before the start of term.

The admissions team were fairly hard work last year but things may have changed with the new system. Good luck I hope something works out for you

alice32 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Has anybody else been told 'no offer available'? I

> live in Camberwell/Peckham borders, and only put

> down two schools for my son -Michael Faraday and

> Lyndhurst - a gamble that hasn't paid off. I'm not

> sure where this leaves us. Will we be higher up

> the waiting lists for both schools as my son has

> no place, or are the waiting lists still

> prioritised according to criteria matched? Also,

> how do I find out our position on the waiting

> lists? Do hope the situation isn't as dire as it

> seems...

I would call the admissions team and ask where you are on the waiting lists. You won't have priority I'm afraid, but will be on the list according to the admissions criteria (ie distance, usually)

It might be possible to add your name to the waiting lists of schools you didn't apply for originally

If you don't get to the top of the wating list, the LA will allocate you the closest school they can, as soon as they can

We got Goodrich, our 2nd choice

Heber was our first choice

I feel a little odd... Heber is our closest school and I'd bargained on going there.... been to various open days etc and felt like it was a sure thing as we are less than 300m away. My friend who is about 50m closer got a place at Heber... it must have been really tight this year.

I know Goodrich is meant to be excellent as well, but I know very little about it... never visited it, for example. Hmm. Now, next decision is, should I go on waiting list for Heber and enter a period of limbo, or should I just go with Goodrich...?

ClaireClaire Wrote:

> should I go on waiting list for Heber and enter a

> period of limbo, or should I just go with

> Goodrich...?

I think until the Summer, you are automatically on the waiting list for any schools further up your list. From the Autumn term all waiting lists are cleared and you have to reapply if you want to stay on a school's waiting list.

Also, if your child isn't 5 until later in the year you potentially have a bit of time to play with. Although places are offered now from the Sept BEFORE your child is 5, stat school age is from the beginning of the term AFTER your child is 5 so if you have been offered totally unpalatable schools one option is to wait it out and hope a place arises in time .. although your child would be a latecomer to the class (possibly better than starting a school then transferring though)

Yes, I have been told no offer possible to any of my 4 schools (Heber, Goodrich, Dulwich infants, St John & St Clement's, in that order). Stunned. We live 5 mins walk from Heber. Are there really 60 4 year olds who live closer than us (Hansler Road). Email just told me to wait until I got a letter from Southwark before I do anything. Thanks for that! No doubt we will be offered a school that no one else wants to go to. Feel devastated and furious.

Thanks for you reply Fuschia. Our daughter will be 5 this coming October so waiting till January not an option.

Jenny I, sorry to hear about your situation. I hope you get something suitable soon. I think the radius for Heber must have been something like 300m this year.... incredible! No doubt we will find out soon enough what the official distance was.

How can they say no offer possible, is it because they could not give you one of your choices. I thought if that was the case they just gave you a random school that had spa e rather than leave you in such limbo.... Sorry to hear of your situation, it must be awful.......

I thought we'd be allocated a random (undersubscribed) school too, but perhaps that's what in the letter. Something to look forward to... My son isn't 5 until next August so could possibly wait, but don't much like the idea of months in limbo (or him entering the class after the other children). Fingers crossed for the waiting lists.

Hi Alice, I suppose delaying could be an option if you are offered something totally unacceptable. Unfortunately my daughter is 5 on 2 Sept so there is no possibility of us postponing her start date. We didn't put Goose Green down so maybe we will get offered that which would be OK. Speaking to other friends, though, they were offered a place at a random school in the same email they were told they'd been unsuccessful at their chosen schools. They were applying to Lambeth & Southwark schools though so don't know if that's the difference. I love the way the results go out at 5pm though, just to make sure you can't get on the phone and rant!

Jenny, Goose Green is full so if you want to be offered a place there I would get name on waiting list asap (you can put your name down on waiting lists for schools that you did not apply to) it looks like it may be taking a bulge so might be your best bet but please don't presume that you will get in, it was very popular this year following fantastic sats results and school tours. Bessemer Grange (ofsted good in its recent inspection) may also be worth putting your name down for.

Good luck

Hi Jenny, yes, the timing of the results is very cunning. I imagine the admissions team aren't looking forward to the phones going live tomorrow morning. If I wasn't so p&)@ed off, I'd almost feel sorry for them. Good luck with it all. A

ClaireClaire Wrote:

> Thanks for you reply Fuschia. Our daughter will be

> 5 this coming October so waiting till January not

> an option.

>

She isn't of statutory school age until January - beginning of term after they are 5

> Jenny I, sorry to hear about your situation. I

> hope you get something suitable soon. I think the

> radius for Heber must have been something like

> 300m this year.... incredible! No doubt we will

> find out soon enough what the official distance

> was.

Jenny I Wrote:

> Hi Alice, I suppose delaying could be an option if

> you are offered something totally unacceptable.

> Unfortunately my daughter is 5 on 2 Sept so there

> is no possibility of us postponing her start date

She isn't of compulsory school age until January

> difference. I love the way the results go out at

> 5pm though, just to make sure you can't get on

> the phone and rant!

To those of you who have received an email saying no offer available,

it means that unfortunately that you were unsuccessful in obtaining a place at the schools on your list.

If this situation applies to you, you will have been allocated a school and this will be on the letter that you receive tomorrow.

There will be movement on school waiting lists over the next few months, so you may end up with one of your preferred choices.

I know the number of applicants was up a bit from last year, when I have more information, I will post it.

All the best,

Renata