September 2011 primary admissions

Vik

Update on our situation - Offered Bessemer, not one of our choices at all, we live (according to Southwark) 320 metres from DKH (a 4 minute walk.) Started 5th on the waiting list, dropped to 7th and are now 13th!

Looking less and less likely that we will be at DKH.

Vik, that is a real pity, but all I'd say is that it is early days so hang on in there for DKH.

Having said that, I had a look round Bessemer two years ago when we were offered a place there for our little one and it was great. At that time it had a great Early Years provision. The teacher who showed me round was particularly impressive. If our son had ended up there he would certainly have been in good hands. Since then, of course Bessemer has had a very positive Ofsted, so pehaps that offer will turn out OK.

PS we ended up with Goodrich, (our first choice)

Glad people are having happy endings. We are in same situation as you Vik, live a bit further from DKH so a couple of places below you - it's depressing to go down isn't it?

Catchment started at 285m when they sent out offers. Southwark say late applications are causing the list to expand but it is suprising that many late applicants could live in between you and the school when you are so close - I guess there are blocks of flats very close though and maybe some late sibling applications which would also go in above us. Not to mention the 'lost in post' ones that Renata Hamvas mentioned on another thread.

I guess it's unlikely we'll get a place now - just glad we have other good schools in the vicinity - both GG and Bessemer seem popular with parents. Our preference was based on convenience / shortest walk rather than thinking one school was particularly better in some way than other. There are some positive stories of people getting places from being very low on waiting lists though - so it's possible although might be after term starts - not sure we'd be up for the disruption at that point.

Two years ago we were on the waiting list for DKH- at number 16 to start with (and we probably went up and down but I didn't' keep up with where we were). About 2 months into the school year, we were offered a place but we turned it down as we were happy with GG So you can hold out, and if you aren't happy with Bessemer, you will probably eventually get a place but what you might find is that by then you really like the Bessemer But if you don't, you can accept the place at DKH.

Thank you for all the helpful comments and the lovely, positive PM's about Bessemer.

I think the reason this has been more difficult for us is that our 2 older boys went to DKH (the younger of whom is in year 6 now so we loose the sibling place) and we've been part of the school, for about 9 years and just always thought that we'd be there. On a purely sentimental note - my husband also went there!

As soon as we heard that we were offered Bessemer, we went and looked around, it does have a lot going for it but of course I am finding it difficult not to compare it to the school we know so well. I am being positive, my daughter liked the look of it and judging by all the messages I've had, there are lots of lovely parents there.

My main concern now is that she will start there in September, love it, and then we'll be offered a place at DKH - Oh the turmoil!