Children's Yoga Classes

korynl

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of setting up a yoga class for children on Saturday mornings and I was wondering if there would be any interest in this? I am thinking of two separate class 3-7 year olds and 8-11 year olds. The classes will be fun and each class would be alive with magical journeys where we meet with animals, fly an airplane or drive a car, grow into a tree, or imitate the ocean waves, all in the form of dynamic yoga poses.

I would use music and song, games, stories, and visualisation. The kinesthetic, aural, visual, intra- and interpersonal aspects of each class help keep kids involved and focused while having fun.

If there is interest, what time on a Saturday morning would be ideal for the classes. Would 9am be too early?

Thanks for your feedback

Thanks so much for your feedback. It's very helpful! I will now proceed looking into suitable spaces to rent. I tried the Goose Green Community Centre but they are already full on a Saturday morning and so I was thinking of trying Push Studios. If anyone has any other suggestions of venues I could try, please let me know! All suggestions welcome.

Thank you :-)

Hi Civil Servant

Fantastic news that your 7 year old wants to do yoga :-) I'm super excited to get these classes going ASAP. I'm still looking for a venue at the moment for Saturday mornings. Have tried Push, Goose Green Community Centre, Dulwich Constitutional Hall and the Soup Dragon. Saturday is the busiest day for everyone. Next step will be to try some church halls and perhaps one of the local schools might have a facility to rent out on a Saturday. I will try them when school goes back next week.

Hi Hazelnunhead,

Thanks so much for your reply and interest. I will do my best to accommodate the best timings for everyone - I know some people prefer earlier and others later. If there is any possibility to do this, I will try for perhaps 09.30 as a compromise for those who prefer earlier and those who prefer later.

Do you live in Nunhead? Do you happen to know any venues I could try over there?

I am quite new in nunhead, but if I come across any I can ask - not sure but perhaps the nunhead library might be able to help you with local venues, they have qutie a few pamplets etc around - ivydale school has a surestart centre attached next to it, very friendly people who run it - they might be able to offer you a venue or suggest one ....

hope that helps!

I think Ivydale has a theatre group running on a Saturday morning so the school is open. I don't know how much space is used / available. Would be great if you did do one there - my 2 would love it as they really respond to the yoga bit of Waybuloo.

I know Goodrich school also has a theatre group going on a Saturday morning so may be able to accommodate something else.

No school's out until the Tuesday after the Royal wedding (but some schools are closed for a training day on that Tuesday).

Then there's another 4-day weekend and then some schools are closed for the AV poll on 5 May!

Good luck with your search for a venue. Have you tried the church at the end of Barry Road? There's also St John's and St Clements - both the school and the church hall - and the Darrell Road Community Centre.

Seems like the schools are out in line with me being away too :-) Good timing! No I haven't checked out those churches. To be honest I live at the Goose Green end and I don't usually venture too far away from the bottom end of Lordship Lane but will be happy to spread my wings further afield in search of a good venue :-)

Thank you so much again for your help!!

Hiya,

I'd recommend Soup Dragon at the Family Natural Health Centre above as a good venue with good rates! I teach baby music classes there and teach a class there from 10:30 on Saturday mornings but I think the time before that is free? There are yoga mats there as well.

All the best,

Bea

• 2 weeks later...

I have found some space at the Albrighton Centre off Dog Kennell hill for these classes. Classes starting Saturday, June 4th for a 6 week term at 09:30am.

I also found a great space in the Children's Centre at the Ivydale school but there is a father's group on there every other Saturday until 12;30. Would there be any interest in having a Friday afternoon class there at some 5pm or would that be too late?

Thanks sb. Just tried them and they can't rent out on a Saturday morning on a regular basis. Also I've found that the rental on the church and school halls seems to be more expensive than other places. I'm setting up these classes as not for profit with proceeds going to an orphanage in Uganda, therefore I want to keep my running costs as low as possible.

Yeah with the schools they tell me that they need to make money too as they have had their funding cut by the government. I haven't mentioned it to the churches yet as the halls were not available at the time I wanted anyway.