reception class start date in September

Hello all,

I'm trying to work out what day my lo will be starting school in September this year.

Southwark council's published date for the first day of term is 5th September 2011.

But I was wondering, will all reception children start on this day, or do schools sort of stagger the intake over a few weeks or something like that? (I may be imagining it but I feel like I've heard of this happening somewhere.)

We have a place at Goodrich and are on the waiting list for Heber.

Many thanks

Claire

Expect some sort of staggered start if your child did not attend the nursery of the school they are to attend. There are very likely to be differences at all schools. I was in your position trying to predict the length of leave I would need to take when DS2 was starting school (was on mat leave when DS1 started) but school wasn't able to tell me until very close to start date. Saying that, probably no harm to ring the school to see they have an idea on timescales.

In reception class the schools usually stagger the intake, so the school should tell when LO is starting, some schools start off the first week with mornings only the following week mornings and lunch and the following week a full week, others start off with a full day straight away.

I'd advise checking with the school - different ones have different policies and may even change from year to year according to different issues which may affect the decision. Also if the arrangements don't suit you, it may be possible to speak to those in charge and arrange something different, depending on your circumstances and the constraints of the school.

I'd say, call the school and speak to them - you won't be the only one asking!