Do you have a child starting reception at Goose Green in September?

Our daughter has been at Heber Nursery for the past 18 months but has been offered a reception place at Goose Green instead. We were/are really disappointed not to have got in to Heber as she has been very happy there and a number of her other friends have got in. However, we have been pleasantly surprised by the strength of support for GG on this forum and so want to be pragmatic and start to plan for her to start at there in a positive light.

We would really like for there to be at least one familiar face for her when she starts school and were wondering if there are any other parents in a similar position who would be interested in introducing the kids to each other beforehand?

Cheers

Katy

Hi Katy,

There will be a welcome meeting at the school (probably in June) for parents to meet the teachers and find out practical information about the curriculum, uniforms, wrap around care and the PTA hope to be present too.

On a personal note I have a daughter starting reception in September, she is currently at the nursery. I have been collating email addresses for those starting reception (a real mix of parents with children in the upper years, children who will be coming from the school nursery and children who will be coming from other nurseries) I had planned to organise a get together - weekend picnic on Goose Green - in the early summer. Certainly when my son started 2 years ago, joining the school from a private nursery, I found it really helpful that a group of us had a rolling open invite to meet at the swings Sunday 3pm if available and was going to suggest something similar for this year.

PM me if you fancy joining the mailing list and/or you have any other questions about the school. It must be very disappointing when your child is settled to move them but they are very adaptable she will make lots of friends and you may well find that you already know some of the other children from the area.

GGPTA

Congratulations Steph and welcome!

If you PM me with your personal email I will add you to the PTA mailing list and my sub list of reception 2011 starters.

As you may already know there will be "welcome to reception" meetings at the school on Wednesday 15th June at 2pm and 5.30pm; representatives of the PTA will be at both and we will be inviting those present who have not already done so to join the mailing list. Once that's done I'll set up some informal meets over the summer.

Look forward to meeting you

GGPTA

• 2 weeks later...

Our son has been offered a place in the nursery and we're not sure whether to send him. We are a two-Mum family and are nervous about whether the other families will be accepting of our family. Our son has not been to nursery before or any other childcare so its a big step for us all and when he is so happy at home we are concerned nursery might not be a positive experience. Can anyone with experience of GG nursery please let me know what you think of it, as well as the other families sending their kids there.

Thanks

My daughter is at the nursery and has been since September. I think it is wonderful, a really happy nurturing enviroment which is well resourceed with excellent teaching and support staff. I think that you may be better off asking the teaching staff and headteacher about whether there are other same sex parents and how that is dealt with. In my experience the staff are very receptive to parental concerns.

It's hard for anyone to let their child out into the wide world but IMO it's worth a stint at nursery especially if your son will start reception in 2012 - to go from no pre school to full time school may well be a harder transitition. The nursery places from September will be half day only so it's an ease in to the "school" experience.