Bad at sums

Forgive me good people of the family room for I am bad at maths and have also received conflicting info from the council.. My little baba was born Novemember '09 - when will he start school - Reception class not preschool. Does every primary school have a pre school? When do they start that? Do private nurseries offer the free hours you receive once they are 3ish? Ie the Villa. Thanks in advance for all your wisdom. Fushia I nearly pm'd you directly as I know your brilliant at all this stuff - it felt a little presumptuous having only virtually 'met' you!

He will start school when he is rising 5, the Sept before he is 5

So that's Sept 2014.

He is likely to get a place in a school nursery the year before - Sept 2013

Although he is eligible for the 15h free nursery education from the start of the term after he is three - so from Jan 2013. In the past the school nursery would have had a Jan intake when children joined the Jan reception intake but schools now take in to reception only in Sept

The 15h free education should be offered by most private providers also, and according to the rules has to be offered with no strings or top up fees... so you can't be forced to pay for extra sessions or meals etc

Southwark LA should have a list of private nurseries that offer the 15h.

Most schools have nurseries attached but not all. A place in the nursery doesn't guarantee a place in the school.

Schools tend to offer 5 mornings or 5 afternoons, term time only - private nurseries are more flexible and the time can be spread across a minimum of 3 days, or stretched out over 52w of the year