attempted mugging Glengarry/ED Grove

DadOf4

15:30 today, my 14 yr old walking towards ED

Man in hoodie and ski mask (approx. 16 years old, 5' 10", black) followed him down EDG and approached him

Very subtle MO: tried to engage him by offering him some weed. Then asked to borrow his phone to make a call. 14YO refused to hand it over, man "almost grabbed" (as in he didn't rip it from his hands) it from him and then immediately set about trying to reset it. As 14YO was trying to get it back, man opened his bag to show him 3 x screwdrivers and took one out of the bag

14YO grabbed phone and ran off

I know some here will say it could have been someone genuinely wanting to make a call - but I see a very clever MO here: 14YO didn't actually realise to start what was happening, perp then tried to reset phone before he realised and he didn't actually make any direct threats. If it had worked, it would have been down to 14YO to try and grab a phone back that he wouldn't even know the code for and would struggle to prove that its his. And no violence used

Its been reported to police, but main reason for posting here is to make people aware that not all muggers are obvious muggers. It made me realise in all the advice we've given to our kids (basically, if theyre threatening you, give them what they want and get away) that we haven't actually talked through this scenario