Hippies

huncamunca

the hippies came to the isles of scillies in the mid to late sixties- it was SO exciting- i was a child at the time- it was like an alien invasion- they had long hair and ate the flowers, played guiars and harmonicas and slept on the beach- they only stayed a week i think , but it was SO exciting if you lived on the isles of scillies!!I rememeber we went to look at them - but did not get too close- it was like goign to see a beached up whale or similar- best to to get too close or engage in converation unless they spoke to you first.

So its a win win scenario - they get the matyrdom they have always desired, society removes an antire sub culture of feckless fascist selfish wealthy vermin and we get to destroy every Donovan Record and every Copy of Jonthon livingston Seagull ON A BONFIRE

Donovan, like most surviving hippie performers, was finally retired by punk. Then he added Landon to the front of his name and became a football player for LA Galaxy.

For the record I did go to San Francisco, I did wear some flowers in my hair (allbeit one or two discreet leucanthemum vulgare) and all I met were obese burger-stuffed Americans. Not so much 'people in motion' as people in desperate need of a motion.

wod, I'm wondering, for that time, whether they might have been beats rather than hippies. I could try reflecting on the differences and transition between the two, but I'm afraid three o'clock on a Tuesday afternoon doesn't seem to be quite the right time for it.

It might be useful if the obloquy for hippies could be analysed more into very specific perceived and objected-to characteristics. I don't, btw, remember anyone who might have been subjected to a hippy label, using the term of themselves without some irony, though I could be wrong or limited.