Help... 15 hours funding advice

I took my daughters away for a break before I go back to work, I came back and the nursery - who I talked about it beforehand- told me they had no idea that I would lose the funding but I just did!!!!

I am so shocked they didn't know but most of all, gutted I lost hundreds and hundreds of pounds...any advice on how it works would be appreciated, I can't understand the logic and don't see much on the net regarding this.

thank you

my older one is 3 and 4 months, apparently she wasnt at nursery when headcount took place so i lost the 15hours funding. I am not sure why and how people can take their young kids on holiday if that's the case!

That can't be right unless you took her off roll... and even if she was offroll, I have never heard of a child being denied the grant due to joining after term started - though I don't know ab0ut souhwark's procedures

I would cintact your ward councillor and ask them to raise it on your behalf

I had asked for a reduction in the sessions, I guess they took her off by mistake, as they are now apologetic and offering a month free but I just can't get how they cannot fix this...surely there must be a way to appeal or something of this kind!

It is probably the case that southwark has a single census date for this term snd they had offrolled her

I suggest you ask them if they can just make a correction with southwark

I would definitely involve your councillor

If you find the govts code if practice for las on nursery education grant it might have useful guidance

I am under Lambeth, but they assured me they made the claim for my funding, but that given the child was away during the term it automaticallt stopped her from being eligible. it's completely new to me and they are saying lambeth is a tough borough in this respect. it's just ridiculous, she is not in school yet so missing a couple of weeks is not a problem!

I would contact Tessa Jowell as she covers Lambeth also

Found some useful stuff for you

http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/doc/c/cl%20-%20co/code%20of%20practice%20for%20local%20authorities%20%20%20september%202010.doc

Appeals

3.16 Local authorities should put in place complaints procedures for parents who are not satisfied that their child has received their free entitlement in the correct way, as outlined in Chapter 2. All complaints procedures should satisfy public law requirements. In the event that a parent is not satisfied with the way in which their complaint has been dealt with or believes the authority has acted unreasonably, they may make a complaint to the Local Authority Ombudsman. Such complaints will only be considered when the local complaints procedures have been exhausted

Children who move or start late in the term

5.22 Local authorities should ensure that, from parents? perspective, eligible children are provided with the free entitlement as soon as they start at a provider, including if they change provider late in the term ? unless this breaks the terms of the parental declaration (see 6.15). Local authorities should ensure that parents are not expected to pay for any part of their free entitlement if the child starts after the headcount date and should ensure that providers are funded accordingly to enable this.

Reclaiming funding for absent children

5.23 Local authorities should not penalise providers if a child is booked to attend the setting but is unexpectedly absent for a single session or short period. However, local authorities should use their discretion where absence is recurring or for extended periods and should set out their policy on this in their Provider Agreements (see 6.11). Before seeking to reclaim funding, local authorities may wish to consider factors such as whether there is a parental declaration in place (see 6.15), whether the setting could fill the place or use it more flexibly as an alternative, and whether the absence will impact on staffing.

It's not quite so simple mrs h

Thd nursery will need to have signed a funding agreement and may need a declaration from each family ... And funding cN be withdrawn for persistent absence but it does sound like it has been withdrawn wrongly or thd nursery have got confused

• 2 weeks later...

The nursery has just sent me a very casual email: sorry you have unfortunately lost the funding!!!! unbelievable!

I contacted the MP. Hopefully something can be done... surely it has to be written in big red letters, do not take your kid on holiday for longer than x days during the term...or maybe simply, nursery managers should know just a tiny bit what their job is about other than ripping parents off

sorry but I am mad right now (6)

Yes I did sign it early April, just after she turned 3.

now they just said sorry when LA came to do the headcount they found out she was absent, and they withdrew the funding!

hard to believe especially I did ask the nursery prior to going away if it was ok. I never thought by paying they could stop the funding.

I did ask for their contact but they are being very evasive and answering one thing at the time!

From the code of practice

3.16 Local authorities should put in place complaints procedures for parents who are not satisfied that their child has received their free entitlement in the correct way, as outlined in Chapter 2. All complaints procedures should satisfy public law requirements. In the event that a parent is not satisfied with the way in which their complaint has been dealt with or believes the authority has acted unreasonably, they may make a complaint to the Local Authority Ombudsman. Such complaints will only be considered when the local complaints procedures have been exhausted