Baby haircut emergency - help!

Hi,

We've got a 20 month old girl with really curly hair - it's getting pretty difficult to get a brush through it or even wash it without a screaming meltdown! It needs cutting.

But, she doesn't like to sit still. Does anyone know a good person for cutting a toddlers hair?

Thanks,

Dan

my daughter has v curly hair, at that age i took her to village way, they wre super nice and she surprised me by not moving at all... the other surprise was that she got it for free, as it was her first haircut ever. I m using a spray a loreal one smells nice and fruity and works well when i have to comb her hair

I use Kids Organics detangling lotion each day, working through with fingers then using wide tooth comb. You can get it for a couple of quid from Paks in peckham (big green shop by S bound bus stop opposite-ish station). Plaiting is also really worth the effort. At first it seemed impossible but now 5 months later I feel quite confident and can create some pretty styles. It's impossible for our 2.5 yo to sit still too so I do her hair whilst she splashes in the sink or eats her dinner. Also just started conditioning her hair with something v moist once a week or so which is making it much more managable (dont bother washing at same sitting as would take too long for her to bear).

We used The Clipper on North Cross Road for my son and they did a great job with his curly hair. First time he sat on a plinth across the chair and second time he sat on my mother-in-law's lap so he was much happier. The only problem we have is that the next day you can't really tell it's been cut at all but at least it's out of his eyes.

They said that in August they are opening a kids salon next door, with fun chairs for kids to sit on etc. Can't wait.

The products above sound great and I'm going to look into them too. At the moment we've been using Johnson's 'no more tangles' spray and it's been great on wet or dry hair. It's the only way I can get a comb through. It was on the shelf at Sainsbury's beside the baby bath stuff.

Second recommendation for Village Way on Lordship Lane. They are so good with the kids and are great at cutting their hair. They take bookings for children Mon-Thurs only, and currently it costs ?10 I think. I know that feels like a lot but believe me, it's better than attempting to do it yourself.

Free lolly too.

Willis B on Lordship Lane state they do children's hair, my 1 year old was booked in with a very junior hairdresser who really had no idea and was asking me how they had gone about cutting her hair the previous time (Trotters, Northcote Road when we lived there)! I was very unhappy with the cut and went straight to the hairdresser at the bottom of Melbourne Grove (forgotten name). They were brilliant and I was pleased with the haircut and friendliness towards my daughter. They also cut my 3 year olds hair. A totally different experience to Willis B.

With long or curly hair I would recommend always putting conditioner on in the bath after washing & combing through there & then. This is by far the kindest & gentlest way to deal with tangles & with least damage to hair.

Then use the sprays as suggested already on dry hair.

Good luck!