Advice please! Flying long distance with an 11-month-old

In a couple weeks time, my hubs and I are taking our 11-month-old to the States, where a lot of my family live. We're flying to New Jersey then changing and flying to Denver. So it'll be a 7 hour flight then a 4 hour flight with a layover in between. It is also a daytime flight there.

I'm already aware that this is going to be a bit of a nightmare trip. He loves to crawl and get around, so having to sit still (on our laps!) all day is not going to be easy. The good thing is, both of my parents will be on the flight with us, and are willing to help out as much as possible.

Has anybody had experience with long flights and babies? If so, what advice do you have? I'm looking for practical and emotional advice, really! Haha. Thank you in advance!

Flew long-haul with a 6 month old in September and had similar concerns, but it was much less stressful than i thought it would be - there have been a few threads about this over the last year - see below - they cover an range of ages from newborn to 2 yrs, but lots of good general advice. Hope that helps:

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,568139,572036

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,413889,414632

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,667549,667645

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,571540,571707

http://www.eastdulwichforum.co.uk/forum/read.php?29,558561,559683

I am doing a similar flight tomorrow by myself with a three year old and 8 month old. I actually do not like boarding first. I find that you are on the plane at least an extra hour than you need to be. The flight to NJ will be almost 8 hours (going, less on the return) to start with so the extra hour does seem to make a difference to me. My older son always wanted to run around as other passengers were boarding and didnt like being strapped down for such a long time just waiting to get going. I preferred boarding almost last and getting into the seats and taking off. Then your son can move around once you are in the air. This may be just me but I have found it helps. Others may find the opposite is true and want to be settled for awhile.

I would pack some new and exciting small toys, lots of snacks, and extra clothes. If there are going to be 4 adults to one child then honestly I dont think you have much to worry about. Each can take turns doing things with your son. Hope you enjoy your holiday.

I don't know how much floor space you'll have on the flight but when we flew to Australia with our eleven month old we bought one of these- http://www.amazon.co.uk/Babytec-Limited-SJ-1-Travel/dp/B000FVXH86/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1310652084&sr=8-12 and she sat in it on the floor at our feet and happily played away with a selection of new toys and was occupied for ages posting things into all the pockets and taking them out again. But she couldn't crawl so it might be no use to you at all if you have an enthusiastic crawler/escape artist. I know you are not supposed to put babies on the floor in planes but apparently it was fine because she was contained.

I also echo nymom- snacks, snacks, snacks and more clothes than you think you'll need- just being on a plane seems to do unfortunate things to babies' tummies. We got delayed for 6 hours on the runway (Fantastic start. And that was the second attempt to actually get to Australia after spending two days at Heathrow during the snow debacle last Christmas)and went through two changes of clothes before we even took off.

Also, I found people were remarkably tolerant. Inkspawn was pretty happy for the whole journey (despite only sleeping six out of the thirty hours travel. And on back to back night flights, argh) but at times I worried she was making too much noise or bothering people by trying to get their attention. Several people made a point of coming up to me at the end of the flight to say how well behaved they thought she was so I think as parents we are hyper-aware of every squawk they make when actually a lot of people don't notice because they've got headphones on/ the plane is noisy anyway/ someone else's baby is screaming louder than yours.

I miss the days of travelling to the States with mine when he was a baby. Once he became mobile it became much harder to keep him entertained. Bring as many favorite toys as you can lots of snacks.

I've found that the attitude of the flight attendants makes a big difference. If the child is travelling on your lap and they won't the kid sit/play on the floor it's quite a difficult journey. Having your parents to help will be great! I saw a travel activity case thing at the big Sainbury's on Dog Kennel Hill I'm tempted to get for our flight to NY in 2 weeks, but I think it might be for slightly older children. Really not looking forward to it to be honest, but maybe I'll be pleasantly surprised.

Have found from my numerous experience (parents live in Asia and inlaws in South Africa, so lots of long haul trips) the little ones are generally are pretty good.

I echo nymom's comment re boarding first, especially when it is a long flight or a massive aircraft which takes time to complete boarding.

One advice, take a change or two for yourself too...never know when it is needed. On my last trip which was to Australia only with a quick stopover I packed in a portable dvd player with my LOs favourite dvds. Yes, it was more TV that he would remotely be allowed at home, but hey, it kept him thouroughly occupied when he was awake (probably more suitable for older toddlers, mine was 2.5 on this trip).

I agree with board as late as possible

Also when in your seats let him stand etc on ur laps (and play beekaboo with the people behind) and the space in front for as long as feasably allowed before putting him in the seat belt on your lap. They check on you quite early but they are normally quite understanding if you say that you will do the seat belt up at the last moment - and for the take off and landing when he will be tied down (effectively) take as many snacks as possible. Rusks work well as it takes then quite a while to eat.

If he likes cars etc we used to take a few small cars and then when we were allowed to move he could crawl up and down the aisle with his cars or when this was a nightmare i'd take him to front by the stewardesses adn let him play in that larger area and watch what they were up to.

You'll be surprised by how well he copes with just watching whats going on around him :)

I agree with the take lots of clothes for both him and yourself. Sorry if TMI but mine have never done solid no.2's on flights so make sure you change as soon as he has gone !!!!!

If he has a few fav toys, maybe hide them for the few weeks before you leave so that they're new and exciting when you're on the plan.

If u r wanting him tor sleep on the flight pack everything that he is used to ie grobag, teddy etc - everything helps :)

Good luck and I promise you every longhaul flight i've done with my 2 (and quite a few on my own) - i have never regretted it and it has always been better than i thought :)