First bed

Hi, my daughter is just 3 but in 4 year old clothes. She is still in her cot but with the side taken off. We are looking to get her a proper bed. I am of the view we should go straight to single which will last her all her childhood. My husband wants to get her a toddler bed as he thinks it will be cosier, but I think she will out grow that in a year / year and a half. What have others done - gone straight to single or used a toddler bed initially?

Susypx

Having just spent 2 nights in a toddler bed while our sick daughter was in our bed with daddy, I would vote for going straight for a single! Not only is size an issue but the matresses tend to be much poorer - probably good enough for the size / weight of a little one but not so good for parent sizes.

And if she is big for her age, she probably won't last that long in a toddler bed. I don't think the kids worry about the size of the bed - if there's any problems it'll be with the concept, not the actual size. I think it's more us that think they look so small in a big bed....but more space for them to hide in!

Our daughter is very small for her age but we put her straight into a single bed from her cot (with a bed guard initially) and have never regretted it. I have been very grateful for that decision when she's been sick and I've had to climb in with her and cuddle her to sleep - or indeed if she ends up sleeping in our bed, one of us can always sleep in her bed and get a great night's sleep. Hers is by far the most comfy bed in the house!

I would second suggestions that a single bed is best. We had a toddler bed with our first and we ended up getting a single one very soon after. Our second loves being in his "big boy bed" and we even managed without a bed guard using cushions instead without any trouble at all. He was 2.5 Its also great that you can snuggle up with him if he is ill and use as a guest bed if nec! Save money and so single bed!