New Southwark Form to request a CPZ now online

I should perhaps add that a survey such as this, where the respondents are identified to the survey principals would breach the rules for commercial Market Research where survey respondent identities must be kept from principals. It would also breach the normal rules for social research undertaken within a University context for the same reason, or for research undertaken within a company about its employees. Public research requires that respondent confidentiality be preserved at all times. So, answer at your peril, understanding that unlike most surveys you will have undertaken, this one allows your identity and views to be known to those commissioning the research.

As Penguin has so eloquently written, a survey conducted on the EDF is not representative of the views of the majority of the residents of East Dulwich so the results, be they for or against, will be pretty meaningless and not form the basis of any action taken by Southwark Council. I suspect the LibDems know this. Which raises the question why they have launched the survey if not to gain data just in time for the upcoming local elections.

Thanks to those who responded - I've tried to complete the survey by giving my name, road and postcode. It won't accept it (I guess because I haven't given the number of my house?). It also won't accept the survey unless I give my year of birth.

Both of those (house number and year of birth) are critical bits of information to fraudsters - I've had my identity stolen twice following hacks of online service providers so I'm still struggling to know why this level of information is required to participate.

I AM SHOUTING THIS FOR A REASON

DEAR MR BARBER - PLEASE WILL YOU DELETE THE SURVEY YOU HAVE POSTED - IT CONTAINS SUFFICIENT INFORMATION, IF HACKED, TO ALLOW A MAJOR IDENTITY THEFT TO TAKE PLACE, WITH NAMES, ADDRESSES, DATES OF BIRTH AND POSSIBLE E-MAIL AND PHONE NUMBERS. NORMAL COMMERCIAL SURVEYS WOULD NEVER HOLD THIS INFORMATION TOGETHER. ADDITIONALLY I SUSPECT THAT YOU HAVE NOT REGISTERED WITH THE DATA PROTECTION REGISTRAR NOR DEVELOPED ANY TYPE OF SECURITY TO HOLD THIS INFORMATION SAFE. I AM ALSO GOING TO POST ON YOUR THREAD.

BrandNewGuy Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> That's a poor first question:

>

> "1. Do you, or your visitors, find parking where

> you live difficult?

> Yes - all the time

> Yes - Monday to Fridays

> Yes - weekends only

> No never"

>

> What about 'Sometimes, but it doesn't unduly

> bother me'? I guess I'll just go for "No never"

Yes, those options are very poor.

Whoever produced the survey either has no knowledge of research/survey methodology or else is very bad at putting it into practice.

Or else is trying to manipulate the result they want, of course ..

• Administrator

Mr Barber's details are on his signature:

Regards [email protected]

07900 227366

Liberal Democrat Councillor for East Dulwich Ward

[www.jamesbarber.org.uk]

If you have major concerns about the survey do the right thing and simply give him a call to let him know, he's a busy chap and doesn't spend all day looking at the forum. I hope.

This post isn?t for James as he already knows, but as well as asking for name and address in the survey it also asks for voting preference. Just trying to gather data, slipped in on a thread where passions are running high

Hi P68,

Thanks for commenting here before giving me a chance to responds to your PM - Blimey I do have to work as well!

I want to check that people responding are residents and that we don't get more than one response per resident.

Hi nxJen,

Yes, we do plan to tell people who respond what the overall results are. But as stated above the only compulsory part in that section is an address - people don't have to give email although or phone - but they would save me printing a letter and shoe leather.

Hi Siduhe,

All political parties can see the whole electoral register but a few have no address associated with their names.

If anyone does not want us to tell them the survey results then state that in the comments.

Really?! You only wanted contact details so you could advise the results of the survey when a simple post on the Forum would do this? Or would the results just be a part of a general LibDem electioneering communication? Why have you asked for voting preferences?

Put your hand on your heart James and swear there was never any intention to contact respondents about other matters or to use data gained for electioneering purposes. I?m looking forward to your politician?s response.

Hi P68,

Thanks for commenting here before giving me a chance to responds to your PM - Blimey I do have to work as well!

I commented before sending you the PM, which latter was prompted by Admin. My concerns about your research design were exacerbated by the realisation that other data being collected would support identity theft. It appears that some data (i.e. year of birth) has to be input for the survey to post, according to other posters. Whilst you are entirely at liberty to undertake a list building exercise, existing and new data protection requirements are quite onerous. In order to make any response to your survey you do 'force' identity and address disclosure on your respondents. This might be classified as 'sugging' (selling under the guise of research). I suspect that your computer security is not of industrial strength (which is quite expensive to achieve) which does imply that you may well be open to hacking. With the type of data you are collecting this is a genuine concern.

Thanks James. I have tried to fill the survey in with only my road and postcode but it won't accept it. It also has a mandatory requirement to give your year of birth, which isn't required to tell I am a resident.

I'm not particularly pro or anti CPZ but I do have very strong views about being required to give sensitive personal data away in order to participate in local community discussions being led to by local councillors.

Hi nxjen,

Yes, I have asked for general voting preferences. We do that on pretty much every communication and the question is optional to respond to. Saves me knocking on your door in the next few weeks repeatedly until I find you in.

Hi Sue,

Thanks for the suggestion - edited with that extra option. Thanks for the constructive suggestion.

Hi Siduhe,

I've just checked and as I thought the age question is not mandatory. It's useful to see if we're getting representative demographic but limited to how far we can go on that without it being a very survey.

Hi P68,

Names and addresses are in the public domain. Year of birth is optional and NOT DoB that would be problematic.

If we can't identify people against the electoral roll we can't be reasonably sure responses are from actual residents.

?Hi nxjen,

Yes, I have asked for general voting preferences. We do that on pretty much every communication and the question is optional to respond to. Saves me knocking on your door in the next few weeks repeatedly until I find you in.?

The implication is that yes this survey, the results of which are very likely to be statistically insignificant, is for canvassing/electioneering purposes.

Quite. It could not be clearer. They what to know who you are and how you are likely to vote for one reason only, which has nothing to do with CPZones. It is the dishonesty behind some of the purpose for the survey that is irritating people James.