Kitchen design splashback tiles

Alan Dale

Not sure about slate. Doesn't it mark up in which case you need to seal them and then lose the nice matt feel. If you're doing a dark wood worktop why not consider an American Maple Wood floor. Looks great but like the worktop you do need to care for it. Can't comment on standalone unit without seeing it.

What about underfloor heating? Is that worth the extra hassle and expense?

I don't agree about stone worktop - granite at least- my mum's is cr@p because it's cold so it's always collecting condensation. Always wet and needing a polish.

Her problem is compounded by a 'state of the art' extractor fan that condenses rather than extracting. Keeps grease off the ceiling but does nothing to reduce humidity in the room and the formation of puddles on the cold stone.

Also -surely in organic, environmental ED an American fridge is about as welcome as a Hummer in the driveway.

Bob, my first property in ED came with a lovely Wickes Kitchen and a floor with a 15 degree slope so the creative recycling of what existed wasn't an option. spent a bit of time and effort creating a functional contemporary kitchen and the property sold itself within 30 mins for above asking price on strength of the kitchen. Kitchen's and bathrooms in my experience are what sells a property.

AD, I agree, stay away from Granite, I'm talking about composite or engineered stone. Another option is Italian black slate.

Are you installing a cooker hood extractor? If so fit to an outer wall ideally so that air is extracted outside along with humidity. As long as US fridge has an A rating then not a prob. Same as having a fridge and freezer. Besides bulk shopping means less trips.

Creative recycling implies that somehow it was a way of 'getting by' without coughing-up for a proper kitchen. On the contrary, I preferred what was there to what I could have put in.. as did the buyer.

The dreadful kitchen below is due for a 'doing over'. I have my eye on these 30s cupboards, as a starting point. Any thoughts?

Bob I wouldn't dream of implying that you were "making" do but simply implying that I wish I'd had that option.

Re cupboard. Rub down to natural wood and revarnish/stain. Change handles. Convert top cupboards to frosted glass and install hidden lighting.

I suppose one of the benefits of having a certain amount of 'free time' means time to seek stuff out and do some work (though a joiner will be needed to get the best out of them).

But even so, that's half a wall of original solid wood cabinetry with dovetail jointing, nice melamine resin shelves for less than a grand - and to cap it off, the far right cupboard has a fold-down ironing board in it. Now that's what I call a gadget.

I had a look there this morning.

There are a few things I like. Loads of G plan stuff- even I've heard of that. I reckon you could make money by buying from Morph and selling on Northcross Road.

There is a pretty battered green leather sofa set in there that I like but I know that it would be vetoed at home...

Alachlan- is that the electric type or the piped water??

G-Plan belongs in the bin. It's just plain repulsive. But the vintage 'revival' has got second-hand furniture sellers rummaging in skips for any old tat - good luck to them.

Most of the good vintage stuff originates from the continent, so there's a shortage of stock over here. So a lot of it is pants, and the better pieces are marked-up big time.

You can buy stuff from the numerous and well-stocked European (especially Dutch) websites. Buy a load in one go and get it shipped over in a van. Or drive a van to Holland and get shopping. You'll get some great, stylish stuff and you'll get it for less as well.

I really like G plan stuff. It reminds me of my mates parents stuff when I was a kid. It's all really solid too.

Maybe it's an aquired taste. Apparently some of it is very collectable. Our house is a bit too 80 for 60s furniture though. Would seem out of place.

Have you actually shipped stuff from Holland? I can just about handle a trip to Morph..

We have a Victorian house.. everything in it is a mix of 30's right up to brand new.

I think we got nearly half of our stuff from Holland or not far from it. All the lamps and lighting bar one or two - vintage dutch/swiss lamps are the bizniz. We have bought some heavier stuff here.. it always costs more.. but there's only so many months you can spend without any furniture looking up at bare bulbs a-dangling from the ceiling (so I'm / so I was told)

Some people are collecting G-Plan, for sure. I don't like it myself.

You'll get warmth on the floor but also uniform convection straight up rather than the rad approach which pushes the warm air up and around from the side of the room.

You have to make sure you get the correctly rated matting for the material you are going to lay on top...

So Magnet will let us buy the units without doors and we are getting a carpenter to make bespoke doors out of reclaimed/recycled wood.

Amazing hypocrisy. Recycled finish on a brand new Magnet kitchen.

Or incrementally better than using Magnet doors too. I suppose it's half full vs half empty.

Got outbid on the windmill...

What does one hang above a fireplace these days? Not for my house this time- my friend has a Victorian style house. (actually built in 1920 though).