Advice on baby and toddler sharing a bedroom please!

JayMey

Hi, I'm looking for any advice or recommended reading in relation to moving my baby boy into his sister's bedroom. I'm slightly terrified at the prospect! My boy is 6 months old and still sleeps in my bedroom in a travel cot. We only have two bedrooms and within the next few months I will think about moving him to share with his sister, who is currently about 2 and a quarter (20 month age gap). My boy currently does not sleep well but I'm hoping that it will settle down a bit before I move him. My daughter sleeps really well at the moment and I don't want her brother to disturb her too much. Does anyone have any tips?!

There is 20 months between my toddler and my baby and they have shared a room since he was about 6 months old. You will be surprised what toddlers can sleep through! Don't worry about it too much as i found that my baby actually slept better out of my bedroom. I found that he would wake me by just moving about in his sleep and that i would disturb him too. Once he was in with his sister, this didn't really happen with the two of them. Now they are a bit older i sometimes catch them babbling to one another in the morning and its really sweet to see them have such a close bond.

Any questions, please feel free to PM

Hello,

Yes @totalpickle.com we've recently worked with a mum in a similar situation. Her 6 month old was a terrible sleeper & was also sharing a room with her older brother. Mum was very doubtful we would be able to help but was surprised not only did we sleep train her daughter but her son was not disturbed at all through the process.

Feel free to get in touch If you need to.

Same here. My two have shared a room since the youngest was about 8 months (age gap 21 months)

It?s great. They both sleep well and don?t disturb each other during the night at all. I think it helps them both to settle to sleep after a bit of a chat (youngest is now almost 2) and most mornings they wake and the older one climbs into the other ones cot and they play and sing songs together - she also gets a step from the bathroom to help her ?escape? from the cot so they can play properly in their bedroom....I love watching all of this on the monitor!

They can?t wait to be big enough for bunk beds and I can?t imagine them now not sharing a room.

Second all of the above. My two (older boy, younger girl) with 15 month age gap) have shared a room since she was about 16 months old. Before we put them in together she never slept well, but I actually think having her big brother there reassured her and so she settles a lot more quickly now. Also when they wake up in the morning they have a little chat to each other, allowing us to have some sort of time to gather our thoughts rather than rushing straight into crying children (as we did when they were separate). It?s been a great bonding experience for them I think; they seem much tighter now than before.

Thank you all very much for your support - it means a lot! My toddler has just gotten a lot worse to put to bed so I chickening out of the big move for a few more weeks but then I am going to move him in...!

Mine are 4 years apart but loved sharing a room from the start. I was worried for same reasons as you but actually they both settled and slept better because they were together on the whole. It's been rare that one has disturbed the other.

Good luck, I'm positive they'll be fine!