Mouse in the house

Houseoflego

Houseoflego Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi,

>

> We are suddenly overrun with mice. Anyone else?

> Also is there a good local mouse exterminator

> service?

This is the optimum time of year for mouses, breeding and scampering. They live beneath floorboards and between walls in old houses.

AJ Farmer have a good selection of mouse poison, mice particularly liked the pink loose grains. Obviously don't encourage them with crumbs and food left out. Good luck.

Assuming you don't have a cat, mice don't like peppermint oil (also clove oil, cayenne pepper and others)- soaking cotton wool balls with oil or making a spray with water and oil mix and placing balls or spraying in areas you've seen the mice will help put them off. Also filling gaps between floors and skirting, around pipes etc. with wire wool or even bubblewrap inserted with a knife (yes, I've done that in two rentals and it helped a lot!). Some people swear by sonic units you plug in, but don't use them if you have pet rodents (hamsters, gerbils, mice etc!).

More ideas here: https://dengarden.com/pest-control/5-Simple-Ways-to-get-rid-of-Mice-without-Killing-Them

NB: peppermint oil is toxic to cats so don't use if you have a cat (http://www.petpoisonhelpline.com/blog/essential-oils-cats/)

I have never tried them, but I have heard of https://superproof.co.uk/ - they seal the access points rather than set traps.

Depending on where you are in the Crudelia DeVil - tree hugger spectrum, have you thought of glue traps? Especially if the likely access point is through the kitchen, and the traps can be placed behind some kind of panel (i.e not in the middle of the kitchen).

In my experience, one of the key issues is that building standards in this country are worthy of the third world and builders always leave huge holes, especially in the kitchen, which then become a kind of segregated mouse superhighway that would be the envy of any Lycra-clad cyclist.

The problem with baited traps is that they might attract mice that would not have otherwise entered your property. Glue traps are not 'nice', but I'm not sure that ending up locked in one of those 'humane' boxes is much better. AFAIK under English law there is a requirement to check traps regularly and avoid undue suffering, but this applies equally to any trap.

• 2 months later...
The Eliminator Pest Control provides personalized service & affordable rates for all domestic & commercial pest control in Gold Coast & Tenterfield using the safest methods possible to eliminate termites, bed bugs, insects, pests & other unwanted guests. Visit theeliminator.com.au for more details!

Archived