Help with working out correct holiday allowance

Are you working part time? At my work you add your full-time holiday allowance to the number of bank holidays entitled (8 usually in England) and multiply it by the number of days a week you work and divide the whole lot by 5:

For example if you work 3 days a week and get 25 days holiday pro rata your holiday allowance for the year would be:

((25 + 8) x 3)/5 = 20 days (including all bank holidays)

Can any employment lawyers (or HR folk who know) clarify : if your contract says X number of days plus statutory bank holidays (and nothing re how bank holidays work for part-time, just that annual leave will be pro-rated), does the employer have to add the BH's to the annual leave and pro-rata it all or can they pro-rata the annual leave and just give bank holidays if they fall on a work day?

I've always known it to be the former but the temp HR manager where I am now was trying to tell me it could be the latter - as if we had scope to decide. As this question has come up and forumites are usually very helpful, I thought I'd ask.

Hi, how many hours is a full-time contract?

mybaby178 Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Hi I do work part time, I do 24 hours a week ,

> Tuesday to Friday, I am entitled to 20 days pro

> rated plus the 8 bank holidays

Have you used the calculator on the UK Gov website (https://www.gov.uk/calculate-your-holiday-entitlement)?

According to this you're entitled to 134 hours and 24 minutes holiday. If a bank holiday falls on one of your usual working days your employer can deduct those hours you'd usually work from the entitlement.

Nunheadmum - The entitlement is 5.6 weeks (pro-rated for part time) if a bank holiday is usually a working day they can deduct that from the allowance but they can't give you less than 5.6 pro-rated.

If you?re doing part time that aren?t full days then you need to work it out on an hourly basis. From https://www.breathehr.com/blog/zero-hours-contracts-holiday-pay-and-entitlement it states ?Your worker is entitled to a pro-rata amount of 5.6 weeks holiday, which is equivalent to 12.07% of hours worked over a year. The 12.07% figure is calculated by taking 5.6 weeks? holiday and dividing it by 46.4 weeks (which is 52 weeks less 5.6 weeks). So, holiday is accrued at a rate of 12.07% per hour.? This is the same way the government calculator works it out which I linked to previously.

Ok that?s really embarrassing. I don?t know how I divided 134.4 by 6 and got 6.4!! If you work a 6 hour day then 134.4 hours is 22.4 days. This also works if you say you do 4 out of 5 days as 28 divided by 5 and times 4 is also 22.4.

That includes your bank holiday allowance though so if you have a day off due to a bank holiday it needs to come out of those holiday days. It should work in your favour though as you don't work Mondays so you'll only need to use holiday on good friday, xmas and boxing and new years day (unless these fall on monday) so you'll actually be able to use some of what is officially your bank holiday allowance for holiday of your choice