East Dulwich railway station office recommended for closure?

Alex K

rahrah, I don't think a Northern Line branch to SE London was ever on the cards at all, so I don't get where you're coming from. It's a mistake to think that the new Battersea service is being built instead of an SE London route. It's simply not the case.

Now a Bakerloo line extension... I don't think it will happen any time soon, but at least the discussion has some basis in reality. Even a Victoria Line extension would seem more likely than the Northern Line coming to SE London.

Medley Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> It's there for Crossrail, Thameslink, new trains

> on the H&C, Met, Victoria, Circle, District lines,

> resignalling the Jubilee line, the Overground

> extensions - it's there alright, it's just that no

> one's got the ducks in a row to get it into

> Southwark!

Crossrail is of vital importance to the Olympics (and links Heathrow the the City) so again, has an economic incentive - and is for the greater good of London. The other projects you mention are all surely a lot cheaper than a Bakerloo extension (even the Overground uses mainly existing track, no new tunnels AFAIK).

I'd personally love a tube line down here, but being objective, there's no economic incentive, no private investment in the area, limited public funds, and there's no current (or forecast) issue of capacity.

Jeremy Wrote:

> Crossrail is of vital importance to the Olympics

> (and links Heathrow the the City) so again, has an

> economic incentive - and is for the greater good

> of London. The other projects you mention are all

> surely a lot cheaper than a Bakerloo extension

> (even the Overground uses mainly existing track,

> no new tunnels AFAIK).

Crossrail has nothing to do with the Olympics. It's not going to be operational until about 2019.

poorly provided south east london? transport wise i assume you mean?#

we're ten minutes on the train to london bridge, 15 mins on the train to victoria, soon to be 20 mins to shoreditch on the overground extension and buses to everywhere.

I don't miss the tube one bit since moving south from finchley a few years back.

rahrahrah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Meanwhile the northern line is being extended from

> Kennington, not further into poorly provided SE

> London, but diverted West to Battersea.

The Bakerloo line extension is a goer in ten years' time. That means pushing for it now.

The Victoria hasn't a hope of getting extended from Brixton as it's already overloaded in its central section and Victoria Tube, even once it's rebuilt, will continue to be massively busy.

The Bakerloo, on the other hand, is not overloaded and an extension to Hayes offers relief to the National Rail lines there, as well as addressing transport deprivation and providing, if that was the route chosen, connections to and between important town centres such as Camberwell, Peckham and Lewisham - in the case of Camberwell providing its only non-road public transport links!