Exclusion - 5 months after incident

Hi Bill1234 - it is a state school, my daughter as actually had 5 punishments for the same incident, the previous 3 happened when the incident happened. It has come to my attention that this is the first exclusion in a few years.

Thank you for this:

The first punishment was 1/2 a days internal exclusion on the day of the incident.

The second punishment, 3 weeks after the incident, was that she was prevented from performing in the French exchange student music concert.

The third punishment a week later, was 5 days internal exclusion - where she was left unattended.

The fourth and fifth punishment - which I am assuming are the last; she was given 5 days external exclusion and will be missing the end of year trip.

I have also led to believe the school has not excluded anyone in the past two - three years.

Without knowing what your daughter did, it's hard to comment on whether the school has acted fairly. For example, if significant new evidence has come to light, there could be reasons why the school would impose a further sanction, although this would be unusual. You should have been informed of your right to make representations to the Governing Body about the exclusion, and the letter from the Headteacher informing you of the exclusion should have set out the details for his/her decision. If you feel that this was unreasonable, you should contact the Clerk to the Governing Body to ask for arrangements to be made for the Governing Body to consider any written representations you might wish to make. The fact that you believe the school may not have excluded any other pupils for the past two or three years is irrelevant.

It looks as if the school has targeted specific events on two occasions. This is not unusual and it serves to send a message to other students.

All the punishments should have been explained to you after the first meeting with the Head or Head of Year- that is what usually happens