Post caesarean Pilates

Hello

I'm a Pilates teacher and had my first baby by EMCS in July. I obviously wasn't intending to have a c-section and have found the recovery quite a challenge, physically and emotionally. I thought that, as the recovery process is quite different for post caesarean than a natural delivery, I would like to start a post caesarean Pilates class. I know that there is one at the dulwich therapy rooms and I haven't been, I'm sure it is a really good class, i think that the teacher hasn't had a caesarean herself which I think might make a difference.

I'm just posting to find out if there might be a small gaggle of post c section mums interested and I'll start to look for venues that can accommodate mums and babes for a class once a week to get back into shape and strengthen the abdominals, regain a bit of strength and meet mums who've been through the same thing.

Would be interested to hear from anyone keen!

Anya

Well, I'm going to ask around for venues,my Nct group actually must have broken a record as from 6 couples 5 of us ended up with a caesarean birth, so I'm doing a taster session with them in the back room at the Victoria on bellenden road. If it seems like a good space to set up a regular class I will do that and keep you posted!

Anya

I don't think it's too late at all, and I'm realising just from my own experience that your abdominals need to be strengthened in entirely a different way after having had that operation so it would be useful to have specific focus even a year plus after you've had your baby.

What I might do if there is interest is start a newly postnatal class where mums can also bring new babies (up to 6 months, any older and it becomes a bit harder to manage in a class without chaos!), and a general one for c-section Pilates maybe in the evenings just mummies no babies.

The Victoria can potentially work in the day as a venue but I will scout around for other available space for evenings...

I did the Jelly Belly class at Dulwich Therapy Rooms and I thought it was really good...in my experience, a well qualified teacher who knows her stuff (and has special post-natal training) can still do a good job even without having had a C-section herself! She also does follow on classes at Goose Green and at Push Studios.

So basically a really good idea, and fairly well-catered for already - but maybe there is enough demand for more than one of you...! Good luck.

Yes I agree, and just to clarify I'm not belittling her teaching in the slightest, I used to teach pregnancy and postnatal before being pregnant myself so I don't think you necessarily need to have experienced something in order to teach well... But I guess now I know from having it myself the various special things a c section brings such as the delightful "overhang" in your belly, and other sensations that even with my postnatal training i wouldn't fully have understood before, so I guess all I am saying is I have a personal mission to tackle it and would love to help other ladies do it too!

Just to say again, really didn't mean anything negative at all about that other class and I've heard great things about the teacher: this is more of a personal quest which I thought might be a nice avenue for local teaching and developing ideas for exercises specifically for post c section issues. X

Anya

- So nice to hear you mention the overhang lol!

If you were to do an evening class for those whose babies were older I'd be interested, even after 2 years there is work to do and I've not found any other Pilates classes that are convenient in the area

• 2 weeks later...

Tentatively have a venue in mind and was thinking of starting a class on Tuesday evenings for a post c pilates class, for all post-c ladies, having had your baby at least 12 weeks ago. Trialling next month: I'm planning to do a half price taster session before a term starts. So if you're interested, please do email me [email protected] and I'll make sure I send you details

Anya x

• 2 months later...

Hi there

I'm starting a post caesarean class next month, there'll be a free taster session on wednesday 15th Feb at 8.15pm and the 6-week term starts the following week. I have a few spaces left so let me know if you're interested!

Also have a postnatal class starting on the Tuesday evening, and a pregnancy class.

email or pm me for details!

Anya x

I really hope you don't mind me asking, but just out of complete curiousity and interest, does a C section result in a different kind of post pregnacy body than a vaginal birth? or is it more because of having had an operation that you just have to find a type of exercise that doesn't aggravate the healing process? You say that 'from my own experience that your abdominals need to be strengthened in entirely a different way after having had that operation'. Would you be able to elaborate a little? I don't mean to pry I'm just really interested.

• 1 month later...

Hi there, happy mothers day mummies!

Sorry I've only just seen this question! In a nutshell, because the abdominals are cut right through the deepest layer which can leave the stability of the spine and pelvis compromised if you don't strengthen them fully and in the right way. you need to strengthen them very differently to post-natural birth, where they may just have stretched/separated during pregnancy but where the pelvic floor takes much more of a beating. There isn't any difference necessarily in the postnatal body, in terms of what needs toning, if that's what you mean, but the abdominals are compromised much more by a c section birth. Also chances are with c section depending on your recovery (everyone's different) you need to wait longer to start exercising.

My new term of classes starts 11th April, Tuesdays postnatal and Wednesdays post caesarean. Suitable for new mums and slightly more experienced with older babies if you just want to address the toning and overhang!

Anya x

• 1 month later...

Hi Anya,

I had twins on 29th march ( first baby natural birth and second C-section). I'm looking for Post caesarean Pilates once i hit 6 weeks and maybe few tips for natural birth recovery as well;)

Where about are your class? Cost?

Do I need a OK from GP to start Post caesarean Pilates?

Thanks

Emmy

hi there i am also interested, how much is a class? i had my baby by natural birth in feb but had a really bad 3rd degree tear and havnt done any kind of post natal class!! which i think i should

nabz x

• 1 month later...

Hi guys

I'm so sorry I don't check east dulwich forum that often and hadn't realised you had all posted on here in response to this, so it's probably way too late now. Doh!

My c-section new term has just started but we've got 6 weeks left and there are 2 or 3 spaces left so do let me know if you're interested in joining.

It's at my home studio in Peckham, Friary Road, and a 6-week term is ?55, or 4 sessions for ?40. You're welcome to come along as a drop in for ?10, just let me know in advance that you're coming so that we can have a quick chat.

Please message me if you're interested, [email protected] and i'll send you all an individual pm now just in case you don't check this like I didn't!

Anya