Secondary schools

ECJ

We're in the process of choosing a secondary school for our daughter and I'd love to hear people's views/experiences. We're in the catchment for the Charter, which we've looked at and seems great; but know various people locally planning to fork out for Jags/Alleyns (if they can get a place). Are these schools really worth ?14-15k a year more than the Charter!? (Not that we could afford them anyway - but interested to hear what people think!) How does Kingsdale compare? All views/experiences gratefully received!

Hi e-dealer, Have you tried to check this out for yourself or are you just going to take someone else's word on it? It's my understanding that in the first year at Harris Boys they recruited some primary school teachers to help those who were struggling with KS3. I think that's quite innovative rather than old-fashioned.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Who's word should take as true yours or someone

> elses? Once we read anything here it becomes

> second hand with no evidence

Neither. I was suggesting that for such an important decision it might be worth your while making sure that your informant is right.

Charter catchment is distance based, so it depends who applies in any given year & where they live. I've got 3 there now and they all have friends in their year who live well beyond Lordship Lane.

Kingsdale's intake is banded - so based on academic ability, but not exclusive of any ability level - if that makes sense?

Private Education? Whether you think it's worth it or not depends what kind of people you want your children to hang out with/ grow into, how academically able they are (if not very then they'll probably do much better in private Ed) & whether you've got a spare grand or more a month I guess?