CCTV

caro ed

PeckhamRose Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Why, what were you thinking of doing? ;)

haha! Nothing that exciting sadly.. J

ust saw something on TV the other day about CCTV's in somewhere like Middlesborough which they have speakers attached, and the operators can spot people droppping rubbish and tell them to pick it up.. ended up getting into a chat with the boyfriend about whether we were being watched in ED or not! I was thinking that actually it would be quite good to know which streets do have cameras from the perspective of feeling a bit safer as a girl walking home late at night.. any ideas?

It's false security. I'm female and I occasionally walk across the park after dark or down Rye Lane alone, I feel no safer just because there are cameras in rye Lane, and feel no more in danger just because there aren't, in the park. Point being, do some self defence, and don't look like a victim (carrying keys, talking into a mobile, looking nervous) etc. You can be sure there are cameras in the shops and Post office etc, and passing busses etc. But why live in fear? I'm sure you're not and were just wondering. But that's me.

caro ed Wrote:

> I was thinking that actually it would be quite good to know which streets do have

> cameras from the perspective of feeling a bit safer as a girl walking home late at night.. any

> ideas?

CCTV doesn't make you any safer. You just get to watch a repeat of your attack on a television at the local police station next day.

ED is comparatively safe, but - male or female - just use some common sense. Stay on the main roads/busy areas as much as you can and don't go flashing smartphones around.

the-e-dealer Wrote:

> There are statistics that show reduction in crime in areas covered by CCTV. Don't believe the nay

> sayers. They are right it doesn't erradicate crime but IT DOES REDUCE IT.

Actually, stats and studies show CCTV is pretty ineffective.

The home office did a study that showed CCTV had little effect in street crime levels.

And a study from the University of Leicester concluded that CCTV had a temporary effect on shoplifting that wore off within six months. And the return on investment for CCTV systems in shops was approximately 57 years.

• 4 months later...
I walk from East Dulwich Station to Dulwich Library - normally stay on Lordship Lane but interested to know if any of the back roads are covered. I kind of agree with those saying it wouldn't necessarily have an impact on the likelihood of something happening but still, good to know.

*Bob* Wrote:

> The vast majority of CCTV cameras are privately

> owned and hence absolutely nothing to do with

> catching motorists.

>

>

> Sorry to disappoint.

I am talking about street cameras. not ones in stores...

There are even talk about private companies taking over control of Speed cameras.

Some may already be operating in this way., but getting details from Local Authorities proves to

be a sensitive issue. Like that of Private clamping.

Not at all Disappointed.

Fox.. Never Argues... Just quotes facts.

Southwark Cuncil has just over 100 CCTV cameras. Obviously they're largely where crime is significantly higher than East Dulwich. Very occassionally covert CCTV will used underRIPA powers but again this would be for serious incidences of crime.

The fixed CCTV Southwark has is going to mortised asits ancient and mostly can't be used evidentially.

If anyone wants more tails please email me.