Are you being charged to see your child's nativity play?

emc

Hi there

There's been a few things in the press over the last few days about parents being charged to see their childrens' nativity plays? Are you being charged and if so, how do you feel about it? A good thing as it raises money for the school or a bad thing as it's acting against the spirit of Christmas?

Any responses greatly appreciated,

thanks!

The PTA parent in me is thinking "We've missed a trick" but then, in reality, I think some things should remain sacred and every parent should be able to see their child in the nativity play. Remember that some parents will already have had to find costumes so, at least, have made an effort to make it happen. Imagine having to tell your kid that you weren't there because you couldn't afford it...that would be horrible.

Schools need to build their communities as much as make money for funds.

By all means, sell tea and coffee and cake etc if you want to raise money but keep the entry itself free, I think.

I find it hard to stomach the idea of being charged, very unfair on the worse-off parent and a bizarre concept to be charged to see your child. Many workin parents have to take time off to attend anyway.

No.1's school sells DVDs of the filming, which is quite a canny move just before Christmas.

Yes .......Fairlawn are charging ?1.00 per ticket for infants nativity and the junior production. Members of my family also wanted to watch my daughters perform ! resulted in paying ?6.00 in total although i didnt mind as i am lucky enough to be able to afford it and it does go to school funds....But not all parents can afford to pay !!

Yes Fairlawn are charging ?1 a ticket, but personally I'm not outraged as having been to it today, so much work has gone into it from both the children and the teachers. We don't have to source costumes as they are supplied, and they are created/maintained to a high standard using the school fund, which the ticket money goes towards.

The kids also get a present each year and get some external productions come in as a treat (Dick Whittington this year) which are also paid for from the fund.

As for those who can't afford it, I'm sure the school allows them to watch the performance for free. But why advertise that - its just something they do to help.

Our school doesn't charge entry for the navity play but takes collection for the local hospice (children's school council picked this charity to support this year) which I think is a nice way to celebrate the spirit of giving to others at Christmas. And yes, we can also pay ?1 to buy a DVD of the play which I think is a nice thing to have!