Parking problems...

sparky74

Hi

Who would I contact with regards to parking in Danby Street? It is a complete nightmare. We never manage to park near our house / sometimes even in our street during working hours in the week. The children actually cheer when we can park close by!

Thank you.

A disgruntled resident...

1. Danby St's in Peckham.

2. Has the "problem" become worse?

3. How many residents have cars compared to, say, ten or fifteen years ago?

4. Would you like to pay for the privilege of still not being able to park outside your house?

5. As Southwark does not yet have a Commissar of Parking, you could contact your local councillor, who might see the opportunity for a splendid wheeze to make the council lots of dosh without solving the "problem" in the slightest.

Does your street have houses that have been converted into flats (thereby increasing the number of potential car owners)?

Has your street become wealthier in recent years (thereby increasing the potential number of car owners)

Are there local businesses and shops that make it a vibrant community but add to the parking pressure?

Who do you think owns the car that is taking up the space you'd like to have?

Why do you leave your space during the day so have problems when you get back (where do you go/park when you are away from your street)?

All these questions and their answers and more have been discussed on a thread about the proposed CPZ at ED station.

Are you new to the EDF or is this a glorious wind up?

A little excavation in the Forum's files shows that sparky74 is not new to the Forum. The excavated posts show her to be -- I think -- a young mother with a frantic life.

My bet is that as her children have grown older -- taking part in more "activities", incurring more busyness -- she has found herself, involuntarily, ferrying them hither and thither, and even hither and yon. Then, on her return from the latest errand... all the parking spots are full. No wonder she feels aggrieved, even if there's no one or no thing against which a grievance can really be mounted.

Without off-street parking, to keep a car in London is as much a load as it is a load-lightener. One more burden to shoulder, then, ma'am, and truly, you DO have my sympathies.

I walked down Danby St at about 2.30 this afternoon - there were eight spaces dotted along the road, and plenty in adjacent Copleston Road. Ironically, the last 100 yards of the road at the Bellenden Road end are in the Controlled Parking Zone, so if there has been an increase in parking pressure, the CPZ must be a significant factor. Of course, the council are happy with this, as they want those just outside a CPZ to press for it to be expanded. Mission creep, more cash in the coffers and little or no change to the existing parking pressures...

Half of Choumert Road has been non parking since october beacuse of the gas works but I have still been able to park in the road and usually within visual distance of my house, even right outside. It's been adjacent to the CPZ for as long as I can recall and I really don't find it a problem. It's typical London parking.

I can't see why Danby would be any different really.