> England face a very good side instead of knocking

> > over teams by an innings plus (too easy and not

> tremendous fun after the first couple of times -

> > unless it's Australia natch.)

>

> Since you've been walloped by Pakistan and held by

> the Sri Lankans so far this year, I should imagine

> that feeling has long since gone...

Yes, the spin-debacle in Dubai was a reminder that they (England) couldn't deal with the turning ball - something that got better against Sri Lanka and will be properly tested against India in the winter.

But there was still a feeling that at home England were nearly unbeatable and to see them beaten by a good team - rather than by a suicidal collapse in form - is a good thing and made for good test cricket. Tbh I didn't expect England to still be batting after lunch and in the past they wouldn't have been - I think England have got better in every game.

Brendan Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> Of course SA is the better team. What next, insightful observations about the wetness of

> water?

Of course, the other thing about water is that you can choke on it. Quite often.

Loz Wrote:

> Brendan Wrote:

> --------------------------------------------------

> -----

> > Of course SA is the better team. What next,

> insightful observations about the wetness of

> > water?

>

> Of course, the other thing about water is that you

> can choke on it. Quite often.

Only if you try to drink it all in one day. And we all know that's not propper drinking.

• 2 weeks later...
Really? Whilst he got the results, I never really saw him as an amazing captain. Hardly a Vaughan - more in the Ponting mould of being in the right place at the right time. And he was second choice after KP for the job.

There's an argument that Vaughn capitalised on Hussein's good ground work. And I think he had a better set of players to work with than Strauss has had.

And to say "right place, right time" for someone who won Ashes home and away seems harsh.

Great win ratio.

Lacking in batting towards the end, but chose to fall on his sword than be dropped. A wise and generous move.

Back to back Ashes = great captain.

He took over when England where in absolute mess following KP/Moores debacle (thrashed by West Indies). 5th in world rankings

We beat SA away, wiped the floor with India (who were ranked top of the world).

He then lead team to the top of the world rankings.

david_carnell Wrote:

> There's an argument that Vaughn capitalised on Hussein's good ground work. And I think he had a

> better set of players to work with than Strauss has had.

But, as an Aussie, I would say that the difference in the teams in the 2005 series was Michael Vaughan's captaincy. He out-thought Ponting every game.

> And to say "right place, right time" for someone who won Ashes home and away seems harsh.

Not at all. Results are really the measure of a team. After all, Ponting captained Australia to a record-equalling 16 test matches in a row and had a win/loss ration of 3.00 (compared with Strauss's 2.18). He is - by results - Australia's most successful captain ever.

But he wasn't a shrewd tactician. He wasn't a captain that turned games through his decision making.

And neither was Strauss. He seemed happy to sit back rather than take a game to the opposition. More so, even, than Ponting. Both were successful captains - neither were great captains.

It will be interesting to see how Cook goes. Clarke has been a revelation as Aussie captain - he has surprised me as to how good he is. Time will tell if Cook grabs the opportunity in the same way.

• 2 weeks later...
Just watching the highlights of the last T20 - great knock by Kieswetter but 32 runs of one over for Josh Buttler (okay it included 2 no-balls so 2 free hits but still...) and what was that stroke he played on each of the free hits? Extraordinary.

It's a variation on the 'Dilscoop', though Dilshan's idea was to flick it over the keeper's head. It's illegal to station a fielder behind the keeper, so Dilshan figured that was probably the best place to hit the ball!

Buttler is known to play this shot, so there should have been a fine leg in place. The Saffers hadn't done their homework. Amazing hitting though.

Loz Wrote:

> Morgan is class (at the shorter forms, anyway),

> but Buttler? We'll see - one swallow does not a

> summer make. I wouldn't get your hopes up based

> on what was essentially 8 balls.

You may be right and yes two of them were free hits but we're not talking test cricket so the ability to make 8 balls count is exactly what is needed.

Given the relative failure of Lumb, Wright and Morgan and the fact that the pressure was well and truly on at the time (only 11 overs) I am looking forward to seeing him in the 20/20 finals. (When England won it last time they had a similarly cobbled-together last-minute looking kind of a side so maybe it's a good omen?)

• 2 months later...

Ridiculous decision not to play Monty - agree with Boycs that if he wasn't going to play here he may as well have stayed at home.

Compton's technique let him down and sounds like Trott let the pressure get to him - oh, and of course Anderson shouldn't have been put in on a turning wicket that early. If the rest concentrate though (are you listening KP?) I can still see this ending as a draw.