Weird one about loss of appetite...about me this time!

jennyh

Hey

Just putting this out there for anyone to comment on...

After I gave birth in February I completely lost my appetite for any food and in the haze of having a newborn my eating went to pot, I snacked as most new parents do and rarely thought about eating for days on end. I think I only stayed alive because my other half put sandwiches in front of me at random intervals.

Anyway 10 months on and I still have no appetite, I cant manage to eat much for example for lunch I only really eat half a baguette or a half portion of pasta at dinner when I used to finish off huge plate-fulls. I also have funny taste buds and nothing really makes me salivate with hunger, just dont fancy food anymore! :( I used to love food so I am finding it quite upsetting and just wondered if anyone else had this happen to them post-birth/pregnancy. Is there a medical reason?!

I know that my health is suffering a bit as a result, whilst I know that having a baby who is up frequently in the night can take its toll I know that my diet isn't helping. The problem is that it doesnt seem to be a case of 'stretching' my stomach by gradually eating a bit more, I get a bit nauseous after a certain point and having food in my mouth makes me a touch gaggish.

I also found my previously ravenous sweet tooth is now much less powerful, again just dont fancy cakes or biscuits etc. I dont really fancy anything which is awful! Good for dieting though, I am now smaller than I was before pregnancy but to be honest it doesnt feel great!

Anyone got any thoughts? Maybe I will consult someone, if I can work out who!

Jenny

You need to see a doctor! If this was your baby with these symptoms then you would be there in a flash - look after yourself - you are the most important person to your baby. I don't want to add here any of the many reasons why you might be feeling this way as I don't know you. Please book yourself in to see a doctor. It may be useful to try and book a double appointment so the doctor can collect a good history from you.

See your GP and ask for a referral to a dietitian. I have heard of this problem postpartum in other women. The knowledge and support a dietitian can offer would be most beneficial. You might also find some alternative therapy helpful, in addition to seeing the GP. Giles Davies (on Barry Road, 07739414210) is excellent for acupuncture and has a lot of experience treating postpartum issues. Hope you're feeling better soon. xx

I have the same thing. Not so much in the early months, but since my LO was around 4 months or so I started strugling a little. I can no longer eat a proper dinner and I can definately not go out for dinner - went out for anniversary to a great place and couldnt eat much at all. Ended up feeling dizzy and nautious from the idea of eating more. My sweet tooth has completely dissapeared over the last few months too. I have been having councelling for PND, but the NHS sessions have come to an end now(you get 8 free sessions on the NHS). I find it very upseting as food was one of my main interests (have a food blog and everything). I hope you start feeling better soon, but I would ask your GP for help! x

Thanks everyone! To be honest none of that really surprises me so thanks for all the honesty. I do have some anxiety issues and I am also prone to habits and patterns of behaviour etc so it prob wouldnt take a genius to see a link, I just hadn't thought about it like that. I will start with the GP and see where that takes me, I am very intrigued by the whole thing as it is so bizarre!