Man camping in Sydenham woods

LadyDeliah Wrote:

-------------------------------------------------------

> You said he would need an address to get benefits

> or money. I pointed out that he would not.

I said...

He would need money. ??? Would need an address to get benefits. ???

There are Question Marks.

I Don't know anything about claiming benifits.

Was simply asking Would he need money. ??? Would he need an address to get benifits ???.

Sorry for the shorthand. Too used to twitter where you only get 140 chars.

Fox.

I perosnally hope he becomes a permanent feauture if that is what he wants - will pop down and give him a food parcel at the weekend - we despartely need more eccentrics.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2007/oct/29/haroonsiddique

And lets hope the council treats this with sensitivity it deserves http://www.expressandstar.com/latest/2007/11/02/rats-move-into-freds-old-home/

• 2 weeks later...

I manage Sydenham Hill Wood on behalf of London Wildlife Trust.

My attention was brought to this thread and I felt I should repond to some of your questions.

This is the third year in a row that the man you refer to in this thread has been sleeping in Sydenham Hill Wood. Although we would not encourage people to camp in the wood we have no intention of asking him to move on. The man, and where he camps, is known to Southwark's Spot at St Mungos and it is my understanding that he chooses to sleep in the wood.

I can confirm that there has been a sad incident in the wood, but to my knowledge this is unrelated to the man camping. I cannot provide any more information on this and ask if people can please respect this persons privacy and allow the police to do their job.

Although one parcel of woodland Sydenham Hill and Dulwich Woods are under different management. London Wildlife Trust manages Sydenham Hill Wood, which is a nature reserve, and the Dulwich Estate manages Dulwich Wood, which is a private wood. There are maps at the entrances to Sydenham Hill Wood and the boundary between the two is marked by green posts. To complicate things Beechgrove, the section of the wood seen from Sydenham Hill with chain fencing, missing fencing and a brick wall, is not part of Sydenham Hill Wood or managed by London Wildlife Trust, but managed by the Dulwich Estate.

So in answer to the-e-dealer:

Two of the trees that have come down on Sydenham Hill in recent years have been from Beechgrove and one from Sydenham Hill Wood during the recent high winds(although this only blocked the pavement for a matter of hours). The Council are responsible for major treeworks in Sydenham Hill Wood (but not Beechgrove or Dulwich Wood). I advised them the next morning and they cleared it the same afternoon. Please understand that whilst trees are regularly inspected for safety they will come down from time to time. If trees fall within the wood, as long as they are not blocking any main paths or causing hazards, it is our policy to leave them where they fall.

Best wishes,

(Ms)Ashley White

Conservation Projects Officer

London Wildlife Trust

[email protected]